Honored Contributor

Re: Planning a big BBQ gathering

Have more than enough food/cold drinks, don't run out. I use round open big plastic tote and put ice in it. (for drinks)

Chips in bowls, dip, veggie and fruit tray, potato salad... Make sure food with mayo doesn't get warm.

Trusted Contributor

A few years back, we hosted a celebration picnic for DH who had turned 60. There were about sixty people in the back yard and we did fine.

We have a large white tent that we put up the night before. We made a tiki bar (it took us about three weeks, working on it in our spare time...much cheaper than trying to rent one. I still remember being outside in early May, trying to stain wood and me staining my sweatshirt and jeans. I had stain everywhere. We still have the tiki bar and use it every summer. As soon as the weather gets nice, it comes out by the pool. It has shelves on the inside for utensils and such and we have stools for it. I usually put Pete, the Parrot on the bar and he stays there while we're outside at night. We have string lights on the roof.

I did the cooking...there was no catering.

A huge appy tray, several dips for sliced veggies, chips, etc.

Pulled pork sandwiches (I did the pulled pork on the grill the day before, then the morning of I put it in a crock pot). I used an Expresso BBQ Sauce from Steven Raichlen that is delicious and a Vinegar Sauce, also from Raichlen, so people could choose.

BBQed chicken in the oven (the day before, then I finished it on the grill the day of)

A huge crock pot of beans

Potato salad, broccoli salad, pasta salad (all sat in bowls of ice that was replenished and as soon as dinner was over, everything went into the fridge)

Cole slaw with a vinegar-based dressing

We had an adorable little plastic pool filled with ice and assorted beverages, but I also made a huge amount of iced tea, lemonade, and coffee

I bought some things from Oriental Trading Company: grass "skirts"to be fastened around the serving tables inside the tent, flamingos, parrots, and the like to hang in the tent. We stuck plastic flamingos in the ground around the tent.

I did not make the cake; I told DH that was above and beyond the call of duty. We ordered a cake from our local bakery and it was decorated with Polynesian decorations. But my sister and I baked adorable pink flamingos and palm tree sugar cookies that we decorated.

We had a blast and because I did most of it ahead of time, I didn't feel overworked or stressed out or anything.

I turned 60 back in January, so this summer, we're doing it again. We had such a great time with it last time.

Respected Contributor

SUPER EASY CORN SALAD

1 bag frozen corn, thawed

6-8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

2-3 minced garlic cloves (depending on taste

1-2 minced jalepenos

1/2 cup or so chopped or sliced black olives

1 bunch green onion, sliced

1 cup grated colby jack cheese

Ranch Dressing- mix all except bacon with dressing, top with bacon

This is so flexible, you can add anything to this, tomatoes, black beans, bell peppers, celery, etc....

Esteemed Contributor

If the weather is pretty hot, I always like to get lots of ice, put it in large low level utensils to hold my salads, etc.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 dex said: Tigris you are one heck of a cook...would love to get invited to your place.We never cook like that around here.

We have a large family, so every month or so, we get-together and visit and eat. We never know who will show up, so we fix plenty of food if friends from church or where ever just show up. We all cook and just visit. We are in a small community, so entertainment is limited to church, grocery shopping, or our local fast food restaurants. We can drive 45 miles to the nearest movie theater, fun center, or state park. So family is what is important to us, so we stay pretty close and the like.

Respected Contributor

Ooo, a crockpot table to keep hot dips hot and hot food hot, but the cords would have to be where people wouldn't get to them.

When we have a party/get-to-gather, we do the ice in the bucket thing but with drinks packaged in boxes for the kids to just grab and go. Small bottles of water, juice boxes, capri sun, small cans of cokes, things like that so they aren't so apt to waste what they do drink and not have to bother an adult to fix them a drink. You can also do a kid sized table with some items for them to munch on with little plates and napkins, so they can fix their own like the big guys do. We have kiddie tables and chairs for them to sit in. When the weather is warmer we have a small kiddie slide/water slide we set up with the play set and toys and have tennis balls for them to play baseball (tennis balls aren't hard and don't go as far). We always have kids and babies in the family, so we have lots of play things for them.

We usually go 4 wheeler riding, like all day trips with coolers and snacks, or rent those huge water slides in the summer for everyone to play with and set up tents to get out of the sun and eat.

I really do like the idea of the melons for a summery feel and refreshing eat.

Respected Contributor

I try to stay away from any foods that have Mayo in them so that you do not have to worry about spoilage. If you do use any foods with Mayo in them be sure to keep them on ice. Here is a recipe that is always a big hit. I omit the jalapeno pepper because of the kids and others that do not care for really spicy foods. I also make a pasta salad without Mayo. I use the colored twists pasta along with salami, ham, chunks of your fav. cheese, cherry tomatoes and anything else that you like. I toss with salt, pepper, olive oil and a good vinegar.

CORN & BEAN SALAD

Ingredients:

1 can corn, drained ....I like the crisp corn in the can

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 red bell pepper, diced

½ cup sliced green onions

½ cup chopped red onion

1 garlic clove, minced

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced……optional

1 medium tomato, chopped

Dressing:

¾ cup Italian dressing……..Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing

¾ teaspoon hot pepper sauce…..optional

½ teaspoon chili powder

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a large bowl combine corn, beans, bell pepper, green onions, red onions, jalapeno and tomato.

For dressing combine dressing, hot pepper, chili powder and lemon juice.

Pour dressing over mix, refrigerate covered 6 hours or overnight.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/8/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

You're off to a good start with tigriss' suggestions. I'd also include Grape Salad. I get lots of requests for that and it's especially good in the warm weather months. Let me know if you need the recipe.

I searched a long time before finding this cole slaw recipe. It's the only one I'll make now.

Cole Slaw

1 can, Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT Evaporated)
1/2 c. Vinegar
1/2 c. Vegetable oil
1 tsp. dry Mustard
1/2 tsp. Salt
dash, Cayenne Pepper
1 Egg

In small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients; beat until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Mix with a large (2 lbs.) bag of cole slaw mix. Refrigerate several hours.

This recipe sounds delicious. Do you have to use the egg or is there a substitute? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I used to love to cook and try different sides for occasions such as this. But...at nearly 62, I would be overwhelmed by this task. So, this is what I have and would do: ask each of the women invited to bring a side. The other thing I would do is make a trip to Costco for the fruit tray and some dips. No muss - no fuss.

I find that women love to try new things and they are happy to bring something. In fact, many of my friends are retired and when any of us have a gathering, the first thing out of their mouths is, "what can I bring?"

Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 luvsbulldogs said:

I try to stay away from any foods that have Mayo in them so that you do not have to worry about spoilage. If you do use any foods with Mayo in them be sure to keep them on ice. Here is a recipe that is always a big hit. I omit the jalapeno pepper because of the kids and others that do not care for really spicy foods. I also make a pasta salad without Mayo. I use the colored twists pasta along with salami, ham, chunks of your fav. cheese, cherry tomatoes and anything else that you like. I toss with salt, pepper, olive oil and a good vinegar.

CORN & BEAN SALAD

Ingredients:

1 can corn, drained ....I like the crisp corn in the can

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 red bell pepper, diced

½ cup sliced green onions

½ cup chopped red onion

1 garlic clove, minced

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced……optional

1 medium tomato, chopped

Dressing:

¾ cup Italian dressing……..Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing

¾ teaspoon hot pepper sauce…..optional

½ teaspoon chili powder

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a large bowl combine corn, beans, bell pepper, green onions, red onions, jalapeno and tomato.

For dressing combine dressing, hot pepper, chili powder and lemon juice.

Pour dressing over mix, refrigerate covered 6 hours or overnight.

This is the one I used at our last big BBQ and everyone loved it. Even a neighbor that hates beans. LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."