Trusted Contributor

Planning a big BBQ gathering

I am having a BBQ for 30 next month (plus about 8-10 kids under 10) and was hoping you could help me with some of your favorite, no-fail recipes. Of course we will have hamburgers and hot dogs as well as ribs and grilled chicken but I am drawing a blank with side dishes and especially appetizers that I could serve and keep out for a while as everyone gathers.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions

Respected Contributor

Re: Planning a big BBQ gathering

Cheese and crackers is always good at room temp. Cole slaw, tater salad, macaroni salad, 7 layer salad, chips with several kinds of dips,corn on the cob, veggie plate with dips, sliced tomatoes with salt/pepper and mozzarella cheese, baked beans, mac and cheese....that is pretty much usual for us.

Trusted Contributor

Tater salad? That sounds interesting. Could you share what is in that, please tigriss?

Honored Contributor

You're off to a good start with tigriss' suggestions. I'd also include Grape Salad. I get lots of requests for that and it's especially good in the warm weather months. Let me know if you need the recipe.

I searched a long time before finding this cole slaw recipe. It's the only one I'll make now.

Cole Slaw

1 can, Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT Evaporated)
1/2 c. White Vinegar
1/2 c. Vegetable oil (I use Canola)
1 tsp. dry Mustard
1/2 tsp. Salt
dash, Cayenne Pepper
1 Egg

In small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients; beat until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Mix with a large (2 lbs.) bag of cole slaw mix. Refrigerate several hours.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much JLFinch, this is exactly what I was hoping for! What an interesting recipe for coleslaw dressing. Yes, please, if you don't mind. I would love your grape salad recipe!

Honored Contributor

I like to have a big platter of watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, chunked up. I am holding a family re-union here at my home in June, so I am interested in seeing the suggestions also. I won't finalize my plans till towards the end of May when I have heard back from most of the relatives regarding how many can come.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Jerseygirl1266 said:

Tater salad? That sounds interesting. Could you share what is in that, please tigriss?

Tater Salad

enough red skinned taters boiled to serve your family, boiled only till just tender

enough mayo to just bring it together

a squirt of mustard if you like

a few splashed of apple cider vinegar or pickle juice to thin out the mayo

pickles diced to taste, I like Wickle Pickles because they are spicy and sweet

salt/pepper to taste

bacon, cooked crisp, the amount, is there really a limit on something like that

sometimes I put in sauteed garlic and scallions for a fresh flavor or Mrs. Dash

1. Boil taters whole or cut to your specified size till just tender, otherwise you will end up with mashed taters.

2. In a separate bowl, mix 3/4 c or so mayo with squirt of mustard and vinegar till it is a thinner mayo/thick salad dressing consistency.

3. Put cut up taters in a large bowl, pour mayo mix over, add diced pickles/garlic/bacon/scallion, salt/pepper or whatever you like to put in your tater salad, then fold like you do whipped cream because you don't want to mash your taters.

4. Either serve warm or chill. I like my tater salad cold, so I chill it and fix it the night before so it marinates and the flavors mix well.

As for how you like to cut your taters, I like to boil them whole with the skins on, then either cube them into large bite size pieces or slice them between 1/4" and 1/2" slices for a change. Most German Potato Salads are done like this and served warm. You can also mix in some bacon grease with your mayo mix to amp up the bacon flavor, but grease is what it is. These days my gal bladder doesn't like greasy foods, so I don't do it any more. You can also sort of fry your sliced taters in the bacon grease to crisp them/brown them after you boil them. It really adds to the flavor of the salad and a bit of crunch to your taters. I don't like a heavy mayo laced salad, so just enough to coat it is nice, but if you like mayo go for it.

Tater salad is a loose recipe, so have fun, experiment, and enjoy!

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 snickster said:

I like to have a big platter of watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, chunked up. I am holding a family re-union here at my home in June, so I am interested in seeing the suggestions also. I won't finalize my plans till towards the end of May when I have heard back from most of the relatives regarding how many can come.

Oh yeah! That would be good if you can get it in your shops. I love mine nice and chilled for a refreshing blast. I also like to take the watermelon and turn the frozen melon into slushies by blending it like your would a smoothie! It is great, natural, and healthy!

Trusted Contributor

On 4/8/2015 snickster said:

I am glad that this will be a useful thread for you as well. Do you have a trick for picking good melons? Sometimes my cantaloupes taste like grass.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Thanks Tigriss, I love that I can make this salad the day before!

Respected Contributor

Most pasta salads are better the day before along with cheese balls, fruit salads, anything that the flavors grow overnight.

Don't forget that kids like small food for their small hands. So some slider burgers and BBQ pulled pork on those slider buns is super fun for the kids, even the big ones!