Valued Contributor

My mom made this when I was growing up.  Of course I lost the recipe and am wondering if anyone has heard of these.

This is what I remember.  You brown ground beef, onions and green peppers.  Then add a small block of shredded velvetta, a jar of pasta sauce and a jar of pizza sauce.  Mix it all together.  Then take hamburger buns separated.  Put topping on each half and freeze then open faced.  When frozen, you can store them in gallon sized zip locks.  

When ready to eat, top with cheese and bake.  So good.  If I could only remember measurements.

It made a ton.  Perfect for when the parents were going out.

Respected Contributor

Here is the recipe I use.

Pizza Burgers

1 ½ lbs. ground chuck
1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped (or to taste)
2 garlic cloves, micro-planed 
2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped 
3/4 cup pizza sauce – less if you want less wet burgers*         
sliced mozzarella cheese (or provolone)
English muffins

Combine first 7 ingredients (to line), and shape into 8 burgers.  Grill over medium coals until desired degree of doneness.  Top with slices of mozzarella and continue to grill just until melted.

Split and toast the English muffins.  Rub each half with a freshly cut garlic clove.  Add a small spoonful of more pizza sauce onto the toasted bread, then assemble the cheeseburgers and serve.

*If too wet/loose, these burgers can be hard to turn on the grill.  Using a ‘flipper basket’ helps.

Mrs. G’s note: Toasted and pestled (cracked) fennel can be added.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor
Inmade these for the kids using bagels or English muffins....and pepperoni along with the hamburger meat. Never had enough left over to freeze....I just baked them until lightly browned and the cheese was melted.
Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022  I don't think it really matters for something like this that you have exact measurements.  You have the basic idea for how the recipe is.  Just put some of each in and if it looks and tastes right you're good even if they are not the exact  measurements your mother used.  If when you taste it you think it needs more of something you can just add it.  I really don't think not enough or maybe too much of any of those ingredients will be yuck! 

Esteemed Contributor

We have a local mom & pop restaurant that has Pizzaburgers on the menu.  They just top their burger w/ mozzarella cheese and a "spicy meat sauce".  It's not that spicy though. 

I haven't had one in several years and may have to go get one this week.  They also have their version of a Big Mac which is a million times better than McD's.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown