Respected Contributor

Pizza Hut's "Detroit Style Pizza"??

OK, both DH & I lived in a Detroit suburb for 50 yrs.  We've never had one as they describe.

Deep dish pizza with cheese over the crust, toppings, and then sauce.

Anyone else??

Denise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Pizza Hut's "Detroit Style Pizza"??

I'm on LI and a pizza place opened not too long ago featuring Detroit-style pizza.  This is how they describe it:

Detroit Style Pizza

Thick Airy Base with a Crunchy Crispy Cheese Crust. Cooked in a Steel Pan, Our Own Secret Cheese Blend, Topped with a Tomato Sauce with A Kick!

Trusted Contributor

And this from Wikipedia:

Detroit-style pizza is a rectangular pizza with a thick crust that is crispy and chewy. It is traditionally topped with Wisconsin brick cheese, then tomato sauce layered on top of the other toppings (rather than directly onto the dough). This style of pizza is often baked in rectangular steel trays designed for use as automotive drip pans or to hold small industrial parts in factories.

Super Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

OK, both DH & I lived in a Detroit suburb for 50 yrs.  We've never had one as they describe.

Anyone else??

@denisemb wrote:

Anyone else??

Native Detroiter here.  "Detroit Style Pizza" was started by Buddy's Pizza in 1946.  buddyspizza dot com

"In 1946, a new style of pizza was born at Buddy’s and it was different. Our one of a kind square pies are built by hand with the best ingredients. No shortcuts, just a stubborn belief in doing things right. We believe in creating good food that’s meant to be gathered ‘round – from family dinner, to date night, game night and everything in between. We’ve always had a way of turning strangers into friends and friends into family. We are The Original Detroit-Style Pizza."

Respected Contributor

There's a pizzeria in PA that makes round pizza regular style or with the sauce on top.  The latter is called " red

top " and has more sauce.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Anyone else??

I'm from NY/NJ area.  Good pizza around these parts.  First heard of Detroit Pizza about a month ago.  There' a pizza place that says it's the best NJ style pizza.  We tried their Detroit pizza and it was good.  Very salty, but good.  Growing up in Nj and this place touting NJ Pizza, I peronally, never heard of Detroit pizza before.  This place also had a grandma pie which I never heard of before.  Two nights ago we had the munchies.  Kept seeing the Pizza Hut commericial for Detroit pizza.  Husband went out to get it.  It wasn't very good.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@denisemb ..and @wingnut .....I am from suburbs north of Detroit also.  Marriage and moving took me away...☹️...but I return whenever possible.  Now I am hungry for a good Buddy's Detroit Pizza!!  YUM!  I saw somewhere that they are starting to ship pizzas.  Might have to try that someday.  I remember visiting Buddy's as a kid.  No thanks to Pizza Hut's Detroit Pizza....why would they call it that?  Better go back and check recipe. 

Thanks for the memories.....

Esteemed Contributor

My son brought a Brooklyn style from Dominos last nite, It was greasy and looked orange. After returning home and not feeling well he called Dominos and was told "yeah, Brooklyn style is greasy ". Son said he has had it there before and it wasn't like this, he returned to talk to another manager today who really didn't care. 
   I told my son to eat vegetarian!

Regular Contributor

Wow, I'm surprised you never heard of Buddy's or Louie's pizza. I also grew up in the suburbs of Detroit. When my brother visits he has to stop at least once for Buddy's. It's tradition in our family.

Honored Contributor

Is is built like a Hemi?  😁😁

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.