Honored Contributor

Pioneer Woman - Oct Recipe of the Month

Cowboy Casserole
 51E7ED4E-A725-4A3A-9AC4-E31E6C85068D.jpeg
With easy prep and a 30-minute bake, dinner can be on the table in less than an hour. Plus, because there's corn and spinach in the filling, there's no need for any additional sides.

Ingredients

strips of bacon (about 3 oz.)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. ground sirloin
10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp.

ground black pepper, divided

3 c.baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 c. frozen corn

Nonstick spray

8 oz. shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
32 oz bag of tater tots
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese 

Chopped chives or scallions, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the tater tots from the freezer to let them thaw slightly while you prepare the filling. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown and extra crispy, 6-8 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and leave the grease in the skillet.
  2. Add the onion to the skillet and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add the ground beef and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook the meat until no pink pieces remain, 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the soup, milk, salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper and mix until smooth. Fold in the spinach to wilt slightly, then the corn.
  3. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the casserole. Place the tater tots on top in a single layer, arranging them in concentric circles (or just toss them on and push them very close together.) Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese and the additional 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. 
  4. Bake 30-35 minutes until the tater tots are golden. Remove from the oven and crumble the reserved bacon over top. Let rest 5 minutes. Top with chopped chives or scallions and serve.  

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Re: Pioneer Woman - Oct Recipe of the Month

Yum @Chi-town girl ..now go get yourself registered over at Proboard q forum friends .I look forward to your posts continuing when this forum closes.

Valued Contributor

@Chi-town girl  Yummy in the tummy! ☺️

Valued Contributor

Now this is more her style of cooking. Her last book was sent back to the Q. New Frontier or something like that. I want cowboy recipes like she serves the cowhands, etc. Maybe her newest book wll go back to her roots......like QVC needs to do. Thanks for this one. I have a lot of recipes to go through on here, since I got behind on reading recipes. Guess they will all disappear when this site goes off. Thank your very much, NEW CEO.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Yum @Chi-town girl ..now go get yourself registered over at Proboard q forum friends .I look forward to your posts continuing when this forum closes.

Thank you @LizzieInSRQ 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri