Honored Contributor

Pioneer Woman: Crock-Pot Stuffing

I'm starting to pull together our Thanksgiving menu. I'm thinking about making this stuffing recipe. Looks easy and one less thing for the oven

F208A0EA-5853-473A-884C-A06963F2D762.jpeg

Slow cooker recipes can be a time (and life!) saver, especially during the holidays when the oven is at its busiest. This year, when planning your roster of Thanksgiving sides, free up a bit more oven space with this easy Crock-Pot stuffing recipe. It starts on the stove, with a quick saute of vegetables, then finishes cooking in the Crock-Pot, right on your countertop. 

How do you make Crock-Pot stuffing from scratch? 

This stuffing starts with the tried-and-true ingredients of many recipes: onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms. Once the vegetables are cooked, whisk together chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, egg and fresh herbs like rosemary, sage and parsley in the base of your slow cooker. This mixture infuses dried bread with moisture and savoriness, while the egg helps the stuffing to set up. Gently fold in the cooked vegetables, then cover and start cooking. 

What kind of bread can I use?

This recipe calls for one 12 oz. bag of dried bread cubes, but you can use fresh bread and make your own, too! Start with about 1 lb. of bread—white, Italian or even sourdough works great. Dice the bread and divide it between two cooling racks set over baking sheet trays, in a single layer. Leave it out to dry overnight. Feel free to mix up different types of bread; this is a great way to use up the odds and ends of stale loaves.

What does slow-cooker stuffing taste like?

Oven-baked stuffing cooks up with a crispy top and moist interior. Stuffing made in a Crock-Pot doesn’t come out with a crunchy top (due to all the steam that collects on the lid while cooking) but instead has toasty sides and a creamy interior. This Crock-Pot stuffing recipe is deeply savory from the mushrooms, with a hint of sweetness from cooked onions and celery. Chicken broth and garlic provide depth, while mushroom soup and egg give this stuffing an unexpected richness. Top with fresh parsley for a bright finish

YIELDS: 8 - 10 servings
PREP TIME: 0 hours 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours 50 mins

Ingredients

1/4 c. butter
pieces celery, chopped 
yellow onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
cloves garlic, chopped
8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
10.75 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
14.5 oz. can chicken broth
egg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for serving
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
12oz. bag dried bread cubes

Directions

1. Place the butter in a large skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the vegetables from the heat.
  2. Meanwhile, in the base of a 6-quart slow-cooker, whisk to combine the mushroom soup, chicken broth, egg, parsley, rosemary and sage. Add the bread and fold all together into the cubes are well coated. Gently fold in the vegetable mixture.
  3. Cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes. Then reduce the heat to low for 2 more hours. The top of the stuffing should be steaming and the temperature in the center should be around 160 degrees when finished cooking. Transfer to a serving bowl, or hold on warm heat in the slow-cooker, covered, for up to 1 hour. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pioneer Woman: Crock-Pot Stuffing

@Chi-town girl  Thanks for posting!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been putting stuffing in the crockpot for a couple of years. No recipe just a bag of Pepperidge Farm , celery , butter and broth. 

Honored Contributor

This looks like a delicious and easy recipe that would taste good with my homemade turkey gravy.  And plenty of leftovers for husband and me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't judge me I'm a stove top girl. I love it. 

Respected Contributor

@manny2 no judgment from me.stovetop is good with lots of gravy.i just hope holidays can resume this year.it was terribly lonely for me like the rest of all of this world.truley,can not believe covid has caused this much heartship.getting back to ree Drummond recipie for dressing,sounds yummy.i made tuna noodle casserole today.good old comfort food at its best!

Respected Contributor

thanks for posting @Chi-town girl 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.