Honored Contributor

Pink salt slab to cook on

[ Edited ]

Ok found this at the store today. It's the prettiest pink slab I've ever seen. It said it was a pink salt slab, to cook on. They were heavy too. One was big enough and really heavy to do a pizza on. Does anyone know about these, or use them? What do you use it for, and what can you share about this with me. I've never seen it before. Thanks.

Found it's called the Himilian Salt Block. You learn something new everyday. Does anyone use this product?

Valued Contributor

Re: Pink salt slab to cook on

The salt block is new to me, however, I have used Himalayan Pink Salt in recipes and it

adds much flavor.  I will have to research this salt block. It sounds interesting.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have seen them but never used one. I have been using pink Himalayan Sea Salt for a long time.

They have salt blocks for your feet also. Warm them in the oven or microwave, rest your feet, and relax. Hand-carved blocks of Himalayan salt emit negative ions that cleanse and purify.

Himalayan Salt Slabs are nature's cooktop and serving platter in one, offering many creative culinary uses while delivering the benefits and flavor of all-natural, pure mineral salt. Heat your Himalayan pink salt slab, plate, or brick to high temperatures and sear thinly sliced meats, fish, vegetables, seafood, eggs and other quick-cooking foods. Or, chill it for use in serving sushi, appetizers, cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruit and vegetables, and even cold desserts.

salt.jpgsteak.jpgpizzaimages.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

If you live near a Sur La Table they occasionally have classes that teach you about cooking on one.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

If you don't mind me asking...where did you find this?

@Nightowlz

Thank you for the pictures and information. This looks interesting!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@qualitygal

If you don't mind me asking...where did you find this?

@butterfly123,

It was by the spices at our Meijer's grocery store.

Respected Contributor

I bought a Himalayan salt block from Sur la Table last year.

So far I have used it four times.  

1. Scallops on my barbecue (Big Green Egg).  My results were disappointing because it was difficult to get a really great sear like I do on the stove top using my Circulon.

2.  Tried scallops again on my BGE, but the results were the same, no searing and very little carmelization (I did preheat the salt block).

3. Tried shrimp on my BGE and it was fabulous. This was the only seasoning I used (the salt infusion) and served it with wedges of lemon. 

4.  Used my salt block to serve caprese salad for three people during a happy hour/appetizer get-together.  It was great!  You have to leave the tomatoes (basil, mozzarella) on for about 20-30 minutes at room temp so the tomatoes absorb the salt.  I also use gourmet EVOO/balsamic vinegar.  

If you get the block, thicker is better because it won't dissolve as quickly when you scrub it under running water.  I highly recommend you get the salt block holder to fit the block you are buying.  It would have been difficult to use this on the BGE (at temp running 500 degrees F).

You can also freeze it, but I haven't done this yet.  

Regular Contributor

@butterfly123 I have also seen them in the ads I get from Bed, Bath and Beyond
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I bought a Himalayan salt block from Sur la Table last year.

So far I have used it four times.  

1. Scallops on my barbecue (Big Green Egg).  My results were disappointing because it was difficult to get a really great sear like I do on the stove top using my Circulon.

2.  Tried scallops again on my BGE, but the results were the same, no searing and very little carmelization (I did preheat the salt block).

3. Tried shrimp on my BGE and it was fabulous. This was the only seasoning I used (the salt infusion) and served it with wedges of lemon. 

4.  Used my salt block to serve caprese salad for three people during a happy hour/appetizer get-together.  It was great!  You have to leave the tomatoes (basil, mozzarella) on for about 20-30 minutes at room temp so the tomatoes absorb the salt.  I also use gourmet EVOO/balsamic vinegar.  

If you get the block, thicker is better because it won't dissolve as quickly when you scrub it under running water.  I highly recommend you get the salt block holder to fit the block you are buying.  It would have been difficult to use this on the BGE (at temp running 500 degrees F).

You can also freeze it, but I haven't done this yet.  

@jpie

Thanks for the info. Don't think this is something I would use, very heavy to me. So pretty. Good to know this stuff though. Very interesting!