Trusted Contributor

I am attending a meeting on Sunday and asked to bring a pineapple dish.  Any

suggestions ?

Respected Contributor

Re: Pineapple dish needed.....

[ Edited ]

@flbettyboop  Here's a dessert, but I also have a savory Pineapple Stuffing recipe, if you prefer.

Old-Fashioned Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
McCall’s Cooking School | Cakes, Cookies, page 13
Servings: 8

3 (8 1/4 ounce) cans pineapple slices in syrup (12 slices)
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup pecan halves
1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
½ cup milk
1 egg
1 cup heavy cream, chilled (or 1 pint vanilla ice cream)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Drain pineapple slices, reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup. In a very heavy or cast iron, 10-inch skillet with heat-resistant handle, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, stirring until sugar is melted. Remove from heat.

Arrange 8 pineapple slices on sugar mixture, overlapping slices slightly around edge of pan. Put one slice in center. Fill centers with pecan halves. Halve three remaining pineapple slices. Arrange around inside edge of skillet. Put pecans in centers.

Into medium bowl, sift flour with granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Add shortening and milk. With electric mixer at high speed, beat 2 minutes, or until mixture is smooth. Add egg and reserved 2 tablespoons pineapple syrup; beat 2 minutes longer.

Gently pour cake batter over pineapple in skillet, spreading evenly, being careful not to disarrange pineapple. On rack in center of oven, bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden in color and surface of cake springs back when it's gently pressed with fingertip.

Let skillet stand on wire rack 5 minutes to cool just slightly. With rotary beater, beat cream until stiff. With small spatula, loosen cake from edge of skillet all around. Place serving platter over the cake, and turn upside down; shake gently; lift off skillet.

Serve cake warm, with the whipped cream or ice cream.

Note: The pineapple upside-down cake was traditionally baked in an iron skillet. If your skillet does not have an iron or heatproof handle, wrap handle in foil before placing in the oven.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

HAWAIIAN MACARONI SALAD RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups Best Foods Mayonnaise ONLY! Do not use Kraft Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. In some areas, Hellman's Mayonnaise is the same as Best Foods
  • 1 cup whole milk or can also use 2% but not 1% milk
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
  • Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Bring approxiately 4 quarts of water to a boil and add the macaroni. Cook until VERY soft, about 15 minutes.
  2. Drain the macaroni and return to the pot. Add the ¼ cup vinegar and stir until the macaroni is well coated. Let cool.
  3. While the macaroni is cooling, combine the mayo, milk and brown sugar. Mix well. Add any desired salt and pepper.
  4. Pour this mixture over the cooled macaroni and mix until well blended.
  5. After mixing, add in the green onions and carrots. I usually save a little of both to add as a garnish on top.
  6. This salad is best if chilled for 2-4 hours before serving.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Authentic Southern Pineapple Casserole

It's on every Easter table in the South.

@flbettyboop

Trusted Contributor

You use regular or giant muffin pans for this recipe.  Not sure how many people you need to accommodate, but you could make a couple of batches if needed.  Note; I have not tried this recipe and can't remember where I copied it from.  They look yummy and easy though!

Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes

Cake Ingredients:
2 eggs
2/3 C white sugar
4 Tbsp pineapple juice
2/3 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick or 4 Tbsp)
2/3 C brown sugar
1-can pineapple rings or tidbits
6-maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, add eggs, white sugar, and pineapple juice. Beat for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and turn mixer back on for 2 minutes.

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Stir on low heat for one minute.

Spoon a layer of the warm brown sugar mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin, then place a pineapple ring on top. Add a cherry in the middle of each pineapple. Pour cake mixture over to fill muffin tin 3/4 of the way full. If you are using regular muffin tins, you will need to cut down the rings to fit or just use pineapple tidbits.

Bake jumbo cakes for 25 minutes. Bake regular cakes for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of each cake to help loosen in case it sticks a little. Place a wire cooling rack on top, and quickly flip over on top of sheet tray to catch extra drippings.  Place wire rack of cakes on sheet tray to cool.

cakes.jpg

Contributor

I'm not sure if you'll consider this a pineapple dish or not, but it's one of my favorite things to make and take.

Fruit Salsa. I make mine with strawberries and kiwi ( cut as small as you can) and a can of drained crushed pineapple. You can make as little or as much as you like.

Served with Cinnamon chips.  Brush flour tortillas with melted butter or spray with cooking spray. Sprnkle with sugar and cinnamon. I cut mine with a pizza cutter and bake them at 350 for approx. 8 to 10 minutes. Watch them very closely. They tend to go from not quite done or overdone very quickly.

This is a delicious dish. I make small batches for my husband and I to snack on or make large bowls to take to Pot Luck events. Everyone always raves about it.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@flbettyboop

@software. I have had this.A friend of mine used to make it. It is very good.

Honored Contributor

I am not sure if you are being asked to bring an entree or an appetizer but my friend brought these to work and they are delicious (and I guess with a few tweaks could actually be either)!:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-appetizer-meatballs

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@flbettyboop

I have to second this one.  I've lived in the deep south of Georgia and never had it until a church do.  She got the recipe from a magazine.  It is savory and sounds different, but it really is very good!

Occasional Contributor

I agree. The Southern Pineapple casserole is always a hit! I am asked to make it every time we have any kind of gathering at church or a meeting. Everyone loves it!! It is so easy also.