Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I make pies often and occasionally try a different crust recipe.  I did use a vodka once.  

The crust was good, but not any different with or without the vodka.  My family prefers an all butter pie crust, so I make those.

Last week, I tried a crust with powdered buttermilk added.  It was a little bit difficult to work with...a whole lot of elasticity.  My DH said the flavor was excellent and it didn't get real brown.  I used cinnamon sugar on the leaves.

8B54E4DF-4C9A-4A19-9127-FD4994A88A66.jpeg

I love to decorate with leaves, very pretty.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Travone wrote:

@QVCkitty1   I'd be happy to come over and taste test your ingredients for you. 

@Travone , You are a giver, I can tell . 😻

@Travone I will join you!😁

@QVCkitty1 -

It really does sound very good!

I'm going to tell my gourmet daughter about it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

I have added vodka to my pie crust for years. Add 1 tbl. to the cold/iced water.  I think it makes it easier to handle & roll out. I add 1 tbl. of sugar and  refrigerate my dough overnight B4 using.  I find the crust nice & flaky.

Honored Contributor

I love a good pie....now I know why my crusts were not as flaky as I wanted/expected them to be...I did not refrigerate before rolling out.  I didn't know that was one of  the secrets to a good crust.

My mom would take the left over dough and roll it out..add butter, cinnamon, and other spices, roll it up and bake....oh so good...we called them rollie pollies...ah the memories.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Sometimes I refrigerate my dough before rolling and sometimes not.  I make dough really fast with half frozen water and butter, so my crust is cold. The secret to flaky dough is not to over knead it.  As soon as it balls up, it is done even if the butter is still in small pieces.

My mother always rolled the left over dough smeared with butter, cinnamon and sugar and I do it too.  My kids used to fight over it, now my DH grabs it while still warm.  Sometimes I put small pieces of apple and nuts in it if I made apple pie.

Yes, great memories of my childhood.

Trusted Contributor

I can remember growing up, when Mom would make her pies. She always made extra pie dough so she could make her chocolate rolls. Boy were those good.

Super Contributor

Wow what a Beautiful Pie !!!  

Esteemed Contributor

Lord @Carmie, that looks better than any pie that I've ever bought!

Respected Contributor

@Carmie 

That pie is just perfect!  I could never do that........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward