Respected Contributor

Re: Picnic time to take a dish.

I like the idea of a bean salad, broccoli salad, or Giadia's recipe.

Great Granny's Marinated Slaw is good too. A head of cabbage, bell peppers, and onion all sliced in thin strips. Then warm a cup of oil, a cup of sugar, a cup of vinegar and some celery seed in a pot and whisk to mix. Then toss the veggies in the sauce and refrigerate. Salt/pepper as needed. Serve several hours later or the next day.

I reduce the sugar and oil to half, but use apple cider vinegar instead of standard white. It makes a difference.
Respected Contributor

Thanks MTC for helping with the Linking!  I can't seem to figure out how to from a tablet ( maybe it's not possible). 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Thanks MTC for helping with the Linking!  I can't seem to figure out how to from a tablet ( maybe it's not possible). 

Oh you are most welcome @LizzieInSRQ and thank you for posting that delicious recipe.  I shared it with a friend who can't wait to try it . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Usually a pasta salad with pepperoni or salami in it to add flavor.Occasionally mac & ch.But really, pasta salads are so easy. If I'm told specifically I have to bring dessert - - brownies with chocolate icing.Simple and always well liked. If I'm told I have to bringb an appetizer - shrimp cocktail. 

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I like the idea of a bean salad, broccoli salad, or Giadia's recipe.

Great Granny's Marinated Slaw is good too. A head of cabbage, bell peppers, and onion all sliced in thin strips. Then warm a cup of oil, a cup of sugar, a cup of vinegar and some celery seed in a pot and whisk to mix. Then toss the veggies in the sauce and refrigerate. Salt/pepper as needed. Serve several hours later or the next day.

I reduce the sugar and oil to half, but use apple cider vinegar instead of standard white. It makes a difference.

@TigrissThat was formerly known as "Freezer Slaw" but it just keeps well, nothing to do with the freezer.

We put the sugar on top of the vegies then poured the hot over it and chilled for 4 hrs at least.  It's a nice variety when everything has mayonaise like potato salad and deviled eggs.

Honored Contributor

Chelsea's Pasta Salad  From a Well Known Tea Room

1 box rotini pasta

1 small packet ranch dressing mix

2 Tbs fresh chopped or 1 Tbs dill weed

Juice of 1/2 lemon

2 Tbs. buttermilk  (or a little vinegar added to milk)

1/2 C mayonnaise

1/2 C sour cream

4 stalks celery finely chopped

1 small red onion, chopped

1 C thawed frozen small green peas

Cook pasta Andente.   Cool completely.  (I use cold water)

In  bowl combine dill, ranch mix, lemon juice, buttermilk, mayonnaise, and sour cream.  Stir thoroughly, salt and pepper if desired.

In large bowl toss pasta, celery, onion, and peas.

Pour dressing over and refrigerate 6-8 hours.

(I add green pepper and a little more dill).

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.