Honored Contributor

In a moment of weakness, I bought a large jar of pickles at Sam's Club. I had bought a small jar in the grocery store and went through the jar in about 3 days.

So I saw a large jar at Sam's for the same price I paid for the jar at the grocery store. And bought it. Well, now I am afraid to open it. It is big and will take up alot of room in the refrigerator. And I would rather not take up all that space for pickles. 

If I open this jar of pickles will it go bad? And if it does go bad how long would it take? The jar is sitting in the garage because temperatures are in the low 60s and in the 40s and 50s during the night. I am thinking if I wait a few more weeks, the garage will be a bit colder. But would the pickles still go bad?

Honored Contributor

I have been in your situation.

Pickles are so expensive so when I find some at a good price, it's usually in a large jar.

I don't think your pickles will go bad but the juice will, which is just as bad.

Do you save your jars or do you have any canning jars?    You can break down the big jar into smaller jars.

If your garage stays in the 40s, that will help extend the life of your pickles.

If you don't have any jars, you might think about saving some or buying some.   I find a lot of uses for jars.   I keep my baking soda in a jar, for example.

Respected Contributor

I have always refrigerated my pickles but your post made me wonder if I had been wrong so I googled it.  I looked at a few of the articles and all of them said store bought pickles should be refrigerated after opening.   Maybe you can split up the contents in several smaller jars so everything fits better in your refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I have been in your situation.

Pickles are so expensive so when I find some at a good price, it's usually in a large jar.

I don't think your pickles will go bad but the juice will, which is just as bad.

Do you save your jars or do you have any canning jars?    You can break down the big jar into smaller jars.

If your garage stays in the 40s, that will help extend the life of your pickles.

If you don't have any jars, you might think about saving some or buying some.   I find a lot of uses for jars.   I keep my baking soda in a jar, for example.

GOOD IDEA!

I have several cases of canning jars in the attic. Time to bring a case down. I never thought about canning them.

Esteemed Contributor

That is a great solution, @software !

I love hamburger dill chips and I'll go out of my way to get several jars of my favorites at an out-of-the-way store, so I never run out.  They are tasty and the price is decent (2.09 for a densely packed quart).

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

A golden moment for Lock & Lock to come to the rescue!

(Chris & Patty)

Honored Contributor

I buy the large jars of dill chips, and bread and butter pickles from Sam’s.   I keep the large jars in my overflow fridge and fill smaller jars with the pickles to keep in the main fridge.  

I would never eat unrefrigerated pickles once their seal has been broken.   

Honored Contributor

HA HA

My son just got home from work. He handed me a zip lock bag of pickles.

They had a deli platter at his work. And there were quite a bit of pickles left over. Since they were going to throw them out, my son brought them home for me. So I just had about 5 of them. They were quite good.