Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 , who makes those onions? They sound good.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Fabulous with anything needing acidity...rich pork like carnitas, on top of buttered fish. I make my own....so good!

So do I.  Just thinly-slice a red onion into a bowl.  Simmer 1 cup of red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt until sugar dissolves.  Pour over onions and let cool for 30 minutes.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 , who makes those onions? They sound good.

Mt. Olive, big pickle company.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ    I'm making tilapia tonight. I usually saute fresh tomatoes in butter and spices to put on top. Would you recommend adding some onions or skipping the tomatoes completely?

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Sorry I was late to answer you...the tomato addition sounds delicious to me!

Respected Contributor

Re: Pickled Onions

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ 

Would you share your recipe?

I got this recipe on the internet. It was included in "The Best Instant Pot Pork Carnitas" 

• 1 red onion, halved, sliced thin
  • Put in a medium bowl and place in sink
  • Pour enough boiling water in to cover
  • Count to 10 and drain
  • Put slices in container to use to store
  • To a  sauce pan add 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/4 cup of Fresh Lime Juice, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt, and a pinch of Red Pepper Flakes.
  • Heat on Medium until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
  • Pour over onions and let sit until cooled
  • Store in fridge up to 2 weeks ( but frankly, I've h9ad them in fridge much longer, if I don't devour them or I make double, triple batches). Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I'd love to try these recipes, but I would have them all eaten straight out of the jar.  I'm looking on the Mt. Olive shelves today.

Honored Contributor

I make pickled red onions also.  Besides the items listed above I also use them on avocado toast and bagel, lox and cream cheese.

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne thanks for the avocado toast suggestion!  we usually just have tomato and 'everythign bagel' seasoning..... always looking for somethign new to add!