Contributor

Hello-

I am looking for a good recipe for Pickled mushrooms...to use for mixed drinks etc. If anyone has one, please share.

Thanks!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Just out of curiousity, what cocktails call for pickled mushrooms?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Occasional Contributor

I never tried mushrooms, therefore looking for some easy mushroom recipes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pickled Mushrooms

[ Edited ]

Here is an easy recipe which can also be refrigerated...

Pickled Mushrooms with garlic and herbs

(Use any combination fresh mushrooms of your own personal choice for the best flavors).

Ingredients:

• 6 cups mixed mushrooms (such as maitake, button, enoki, oyster, cremini, shiitake, porcini, and royal trumpet), washed, trimmed, and if large, halved or separated into smaller sections.
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 cup white wine vinegar
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
  • 10 whole peppercorns
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 1 large clove garlic, slivered
  • 1 small dried hot red chile (about 2 inches long)
  • Kosher salt

Directions:

Bring an 8-quart pot of water to a boil. Immerse a quart-size canning jar, lid, and band in the water and boil for 10 minutes to sterilize. With tongs, transfer to a clean dishtowel to drain. 

Boil the mushrooms in the water until tender, 10 minutes. Drain and pack them into the jar along with the thyme sprigs.

In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, oil, sugar, peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, chile, 1 Tbs. salt, and 1/2 cup water to a boil over medium heat. Pour the mixture over the mushrooms until it reaches the top of the jar. Screw on the lid, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for 3 days before using. The mushrooms will keep in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.

These can be served with any meal, or as appetizers, and they are delicious.

We also enjoy making them and serving them along with various fruits and cheeses, and all types of breakfast fritatta casseroles, luncheon, dinner, and buffet type foods.

Also  alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks work very well with this pickled mushrooms with garlic and herbs recipe .

They also make a great holiday food, or hostess gift.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I think...Ree Drummond ( Pioneer Woman) has a recipe for those mushrooms that looked pretty easy. Haven't made them but I do love them.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Pickled Mushrooms

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what cocktails call for pickled mushrooms?

@Desertdi

Pickled mushrooms are an unusual cocktail garnish, but I read that in Wisconsin, they make their Old Fashioneds garnishing them with pickled mushrooms.  Woman Surprised

Initially, I thought that a Bloody Mary-type cocktail would be better suited with pickled mushrooms.  

Contributor

EXACTLY!! Here in Wisconsin-we have pickled mushrooms as a garnish in an old fashioned!