Honored Contributor

Pickle Recipe--Sweet Made from Dill? Lost my recipe!

I had a recipe for making a sweet pickle out of a jar of dill pickles and now I can't find it!  

I saw it a couple of days ago, but tossed out some magazines and now I can't find it.  I don't know if it was from a magazine (Southern Living?) or a book!  

I hate when this happens!  Do you have the recipe or the latest issue of Southern Living?  Was it in there?  I have too much on my mind--at least more than brain cells apparently!

THANKS for your consideration!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Pickle Recipe--Sweet Made from Dill? Lost my recipe!

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 
My grandmother got on the kick of making sweet pickles out of dill pickles in the 90's.   She drained the juice from a jar of dill pickles into a saucepan, added 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup water, and a heaping tablespoon of pickling spice, and brought to a rolling boil until sugar is dissolved.   Turn heat off, slice the whole dills into chunks, put back in the jar and cover with sweet brine.   

Honored Contributor

That's sort of what I was going to do!  I think this recipe used a smaller jar of pickles than any other I've seen!  

It's hard to be old and keep up with anything!  Woman Embarassed

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop Do we have the same grandmother? That's exactly what my grandma did but she did not cook the pickles at all, just the brine. My family loves them. I have been thinking of making some for a while. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   Found this!  It was too interesting not to post!  Enjoy!

From there the recipes became more complicated. Here’s a sampling, including one for Re-Pickled Pickles, which a reader reminded us was in “The Los Angeles Times California Cookbook” (Abrams: 1981).

CANDIED DILLS

1 (1-quart) jar dill pickles
1/2 cup tarragon vinegar (or white distilled vinegar)
2 3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice

Drain pickles. Cut pickles into 1/4-inch slices or spears.  Combine pickles, vinegar and sugar. Tie spices in small piece of cheesecloth and add to pickle mixture. Allow mixture to stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 4 hours.

Repack 1/2 pickles in jar. Add spice bag, then remaining pickles. Refrigerate at least 4 days, turing jar occasionally. Remove spices after 1 week. Makes 1 quart.

RE-PICKLED PICKLES

1 (2-quart) jar dill pickles
3 medium onions, sliced
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 large cinnamon sticks

Slice pickles 1/2-inch thick. Place in jars alternately with onion slices. Dissolve sugar in vinegar and water. Pour vinegar mixture over pickles. Add cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate 2 days before using.  Makes 2 1/2 to 3 quarts.

SWEET DILL CHIPS

1 (1-quart) jar dill pickles, drained
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
12 to 14 whole cloves
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick

Slice pickles into large bowl and add garlic. Combine sugar, vinegar, cloves and garlic in saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Pour over pickles and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.

Remove cloves and cinnamon. Pack pickles back into jar and pour syrup over. Cover tightly and store in refrigerator, shaking or turning jar occasionally to distribute syrup. Makes 1 quart.

SWEET DILL PICKLES

1 (1-quart) jar dill pickles
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon dried celery seeds
1 teaspoon dried mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
5 tablespoons vinegar
1 clove garlic

Drain pickles and slice into chips or spears. Place in bowl, add sugar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, dill, vinegar and garlic. Mix well and allow to stand until sugar is dissolved.

Repack pickles into jar and pour syrup over. Store in refrigerator. Makes 1 quart.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills THANK you so much!!!!!  That's very very helpful!  Now to pick one!