Valued Contributor

Philly Cheese Steak Soup (in bread bowls)

Philly Cheesesteak Stew

Philly Cheese Steak Soup (in bread bowls)
recipe source: thecozyapron.com

This soup/stew is really delicious. Great Philly cheese steak flavor in a tasty-edible bowl. I doubled the recipe. My kids loved it so much that they've requested it once a week..lol I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but I'm happy that they enjoyed it. It'll make a second appearance next month, for sure. This might even be a winner for our Superbowl party. Food for thought. *smile*

Serves: 4

1 1/2 pounds very thinly sliced beef sirloin or rib-eye
Salt and Cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided use
Olive oil
2 medium onions, quartered and thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced.
10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
4 cups (reduced sodium) beef stock, hot
4 sourdough bread bowls, centers hollowed out and reserved for dipping
4 slices provolone cheese

Add the thinly sliced beef sirloin to a large bowl, and season with a couple of pinches of salt and cracked black pepper, plus the onion powder, and toss to coat; sprinkle over 2 tablespoons of the flour, and again, toss to coat. Place a non-stick pot over medium-high heat, and drizzle in about 3-4 tablespoons of oil; once hot, add about half of the sirloin in, and allow it to sear for about a minute or two, then toss/stir, and allow it to sear/brown on the other sides for another 1-2 minutes, and remove onto a plate to hold (the meat may still be a little pink inside); repeat with the remaining half of the sirloin, and set aside. -Next, add a little more oil to the pot if needed, and add in the sliced onions, green peppers,along with a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper; allow everything to caramelize for roughly 6 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning them, until golden-brown and softened; then, add in the mushrooms, and allow them to continue sauteing with the onions and peppers for another 6 minutes or so, stirring frequently. Add in the dried thyme and the garlic, and stir to incorporate. Once the garlic becomes aromatic, sprinkle in the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour (the tablespoons can be a bit “heaping”) over the green pepper, onion/mushroom mixture, and stir well to combine and blend; next, slowly add in the hot beef stock, stirring all the while to avoid any little flour “lumps” from forming.

Reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow the stew to simmer gently for about 10 minutes, uncovered, just to “tighten” it up a bit, and to allow the flavors to marry; after 10 minutes, turn off the heat, and add the seared sirloin back in, along with any accumulated juices, and stir to combine; check to see if you need any additional salt/pepper. To serve, ladle some stew into your hollowed out sourdough bowls, top with a slice of provolone, and place the bread bowls onto a foil-lined baking sheet and under the broiler for just a couple of moments to melt the cheese and make it gooey.

Super Contributor

Re: Philly Cheese Steak Soup (in bread bowls)

Holy smokes this looks and sounds amazing. Will be adding to my list of new recipes to try. Thanks for sharing!
Honored Contributor

This looks and sounds fabulous! I'm going to give it a try next week. Thanks for sharing.

Valued Contributor

Hi diamondsforme and JeanLouiseFinch {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

You're both very welcome! It's really great. Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Stay warm,

LoLa

Respected Contributor

I am going to surprise my husband with this. He will be in heaven. Thanks for sharing.

Super Contributor

Oh wow! This looks fantastic. {#emotions_dlg.tt1} I know my DH would love this one. Thank you for the recipe, LoLa!

Honored Contributor

hi lola, thank you.....i found this online so that i could pin it to my pinterest. i will definitely be leaving the mushrooms out, but everything else sounds good!

the recipe actually says STEW......do you think it is more of a soup or more of a thicker stew?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

All I can say is OH WOW!! and THANK YOU! Who wouldn't want to devour this?

I may skip the bread bowl for myself to save some calories...but will be pinching off hunks on my DH bowl I am sure! LOL Can't wait to try this...it is so bitterly cold w/ no end in sight...I deserve this dish!!

LoLa, you are appreciated here!! YUMMY!

Valued Contributor

Hi luvs! You're welcome! I hope it's a great surprise for your hubby! Stay warm and let me know!

Hi rondell! You're welcome! I hope that your DH really enjoys it! Let me know!

Hi sunshine! You're welcome! In my opinion, It's smack dab in between, kinda a 'stewp' ..lol Either way, it's delicious!

Hi Respect! You are very welcome! Yes, it's really good. Oh, and I won't tell anyone if you sneak a few crumbs of bread*smile*.

Happy Saturday Friends,

LoLa

Honored Contributor

Help! I couldn't find bread bowls anywhere...well, to be honest, It was totally blizzarding this past Sat. and I only went to a smaller Wegmans. But I couldn't find bread bowls!

Any suggestions? Do you ladies make them yourselves? Is there such a thing in the frozen dept?

I promised DH this soup in a bread bowl but couldn't find the bread bowls. Wegman's makes a delicious Tuscan Garlic round bread...but the loaf is way too large!

Any suggestions? This soup is haunting me I want to try it so bad! TIA