Contributor

Perfect timing for Golden Beet with Fennel Soup

As days are getting shorter and temperatures outside - colder (well, at least in Toronto where I amSmiley Wink I start craving soups more and more. Recently I tried a new recipe, with a cream soup made of golden beets and fennel, vegetables that most of us don't consume on the regular basis. I would really recommend it, the flavors are superb, so soothing and almost heart warming..Does anyone else have a great fall/winter soup recipe to try?

GOLDEN BEET WITH FENNEL SOUP

Paleo Soup Made of Golden Beets & Fennel

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 lbs (about 8) golden beets, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 large bulb fennel, with fronds
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 cups (1 L) organic vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp fennel seed, crushed
  • 1 tsp coriander seed, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
  • sea salt & freshly ground pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:

• Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions have softened, about 10 minutes.
  • Add beets, fennel seed, coriander seed, turmeric, vegetable stock and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 1 hour.
  • Trim fronds and stalks from fennel bulb and reserve for use in garnish. Cut bulb in half. Trim and discard core. Roughly chop, add to pot, and continue cooking for additional 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Using a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. Add vinegar and cream (optional). Stir to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
  • Garnish with the reserved fennel fronds.

Super Contributor

Re: Perfect timing for Golden Beet with Fennel Soup

The first time I had beet soup was while eating out and it was delicious. I went on to make a cream of beet soup, a simple version, but it was also very good. I'm looking forward to trying this golden beet soup. It looks really good!
Contributor

On 11/25/2014 ambermoon said: The first time I had beet soup was while eating out and it was delicious. I went on to make a cream of beet soup, a simple version, but it was also very good. I'm looking forward to trying this golden beet soup. It looks really good!

Let me know what you think when you try it, ambermoon. I find the flavor of golden beets much more delicate than regular beets. Also there is no mess while preparing it. When I make borsch from red beets, my whole kitchen ends up redSmiley Wink

Super Contributor

I haven't seen golden beets in the markets I shop at. Guess it's time for a trip to our local health food store. They seem to have everything. This soup sounds delicious. We love beets.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Madisson said:

I haven't seen golden beets in the markets I shop at. Guess it's time for a trip to our local health food store. They seem to have everything. This soup sounds delicious. We love beets.

Hi Madisson, do you have Wholefoods in your area? Thats where I got them.

Super Contributor

On 11/27/2014 svli_2000 said:
On 11/26/2014 Madisson said:

Hi Madisson, do you have Wholefoods in your area? Thats where I got them.

Thanks...There is a Whole Foods not too far away. I'll look for them.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

svli, I made this tonight after finally getting to a Whole Foods to get the golden beets. It is delicious! This was also my first time cooking with fennel and coriander. The golden beets are more "delicate" than the red and go so well with the seasonings. I didn't add the cup of water, that was the only change I made. Husband said "this is a good recipe". I think it will be good chilled in warmer weather. Thanks for sharing.
Trusted Contributor

Wow, that sounds really good. I haven't seen the golden beets in the market either, but now I'm going to look for them. I don't shop at Whole Foods often because it's not very close to me, but I may need to make a special trip if I don't find golden beets at my usual markets.