Honored Contributor

Penne, Peppers, Chicken Apple Sausage

I saw this recipe the other day and it SOUNDED delicious.  So I made it today and it TASTES delicious.  I thought I had penne in the closet ... but didn't, so I used Rotelli (that I bought for pasta/pesto salad).

allrecipes dot com/recipe/233535/penne-peppers-and-chicken-apple-sausage-saute/

The recipe suggests something like Mrs. Dash ... but I used some other spices that I bought recently that I wanted to try:  Harissa seasoning and Za'atar seasoning .. a little of both.  They are North African  and Mddle East seasonings.

The combination of flavors is outstanding.  There's a slight "bite" to the seasoning and the contrast with the sweet chcken/apple sausage is wonderful.  The flavors and aroma are wonderful.  Leaves a great taste in your mouth!

(I buy all sorts of spices that sound interesting.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Penne, Peppers, Chicken Apple Sausage

@ALRATIBA @Oh course I had to open your post when I was starving..sounds really wonderful.

Valued Contributor

I use Za'atar seasoning on roasted potatoes all of the time. Very delicious. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to fix similar dishes often.  Just about any type of sausage (such as kielbasa or andouille) works for me.

Refrigerated Alfredo sauce such as RANA or BUITONI --plus some generous spoonfuls of Cajun seasoning--are a good addition to the sausage, peppers and  and pasta.

Broccoli, carrots or peas or any mix of vegetables can be good, too.  The "steamable" frozen veggie mixes are handy for me to use.

Tonight, I'm trying a mix of chopped rotisserie chicken, a broccoli/veggie mix, added to penne and Alfredo sauce.  Have not decided how best  to season it yet, though.

Any suggestions???