Esteemed Contributor

Pecan Pie Recipe - HELP!

[ Edited ]

I have never, ever made pecan pie before, so I followed the recipe on the back of a bottle of Karo syrup.

I just took it out of the oven after 70 minutes of baking.

It said to let it cool for 2 hours, which is what it is doing now.

My question is, is the center supposed to be in a liquid form?

Will it firm up as it cools?

Thanks!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Pecan Pie Recipe - HELP!

Sorry, I never made a pecan pie. BUT my Dad used to make at least one every holiday. And he used the Karo recipe. I am sure as it cools that it will solidify.

Valued Contributor

It should be a little jiggly, but not soupy. You can cover with foil and bake a few minutes longer. If you use a frozen crust, that sometimes can add extra moisture which is not needed. My mother made the best pecan pies. Always made her own crust. They are not my favorite, because they are so sweet, but I have made them for family members. 

Honored Contributor

I found this -

What Makes Pecan Pie Runny?

The first time I made pecan pie, it was perfect. The filling was gooey and delicious, not the least bit runny. Maybe it was beginner's luck, because the second time I made pecan pie, it was runny. The third time, it was more like pecan soup. The fourth time, I cooked it longer, which produced burnt pecan soup.

So I asked questions and experimented. Whenever I planned to take one to a potluck supper, I made two pies--one for me to taste, to see if it was acceptable; and the other to share (or throw away, depending on how that first pie tasted).

Eventually I got it right. Now I am so confident in my pecan pie baking skills that I only bake one pie, and take it to a party without even testing it first.

Here's the thing: Pecan pie filling is like a custard without the milk. The eggs make it set up. Never use a store-bought crust in an aluminum pan. Measure your ingredients carefully, because baking is more science than art. Verify your oven temperature is really at 350. (Don't trust your dial.). And remove it from the oven when when a toothpick comes out with just a tiny bit of gooey goodness on it.

if that still isn't enough, try one or more of these suggestions:

• If you're using a frozen crust, try a fresh crust You don't need to add the extra moisture.
  • If you're cutting your cooking time short to avoid overbrowning, or cooking at less than 350 for the same reason, don't. If your crust is burning too soon, cover the edges with foil or with a pie crust protector. Remove it for the last fifteen minutes of baking. (See below for more information.)
  • Throw in a few extra pecans. In fact, that's a good idea even if you don't have trouble with runny pies.
  • Add a fourth egg or a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch. Any of these options should make your pie filling more solid. Use this option last, however, because it can change the taste of your pie.
Honored Contributor

When i baks something that turns out to be not quite done, I often stick it in the microwave for a few minutes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I have never, ever made pecan pie before, so I followed the recipe on the back of a bottle of Karo syrup.

I just took it out of the oven after 70 minutes of baking.

It said to let it cool for 2 hours, which is what it is doing now.

My question is, is the center supposed to be in a liquid form?

Will it firm up as it cools?

Thanks!

I use the same  Karo syrup receipe for my pecan pie . I add 1/4 cup of burbon so that the pie is not sickening  sweet .

Respected Contributor

I’ve never used the recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle but when I make pecan pie I test to see if it is done by inserting a clean knife in the center.  If it comes out clean without filling sticking to it then the pie is done. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well it's certainly cooled by now, so what's the verdict?  I've never made a pecan pie either.

How's the center of your pecan pie?

Honored Contributor

I am not much of a cook,but have never had a problem with the Karo recipe. &9 minutes seems like a long time. How do other recipes work for you?