Trusted Contributor

Just made this for the family reunion and if you like Pecan Pie, you just might like this.

Pecan Pie Dump Cobbler Base

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 cup packed brown sugar 

1 jar (12.25 oz) Smucker's™ caramel topping

1/4 cup butter, melted

3 cups pecan halves

Topping

1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ white cake mix

3/4 cup butter, melted

Vanilla ice cream, if desired

Steps

• Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
  •  In large bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, caramel topping and 1/4 cup melted butter with whisk until well blended.
  • Stir in pecans.
  • Pour mixture into pan; spread evenly over bottom of pan.
  • Sprinkle top with dry cake mix; gently shake pan to distribute evenly.
  • Pour 3/4 cup melted butter over top, tilting pan to cover as much of top with butter as possible.
  • Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is light golden brown, mostly dry on top and bubbling around edges.
  • Cool 20 minutes before serving.
  • Use large spoon for serving.
  • Top individual servings with ice cream, if desired.
  • Store loosely covered in refrigerator.

I inserted a knife and when it came out clean, I then took it out of the oven, much like when you bake a pecan pie.  I have a convection oven and baked it for 30-32 minutes, but of course ovens vary.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@wismiss 

LOVE pecan pie

LOVE dump cakes

Looking forward to the combination of two loves!

Thanks for sharing.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

Now that I have tried this, Havarti, I think I would use a cake mix with a little more flavor---maybe the butter pecan or yellow, and I wouldn't use the whole box of cake mix.  I would sprinkle it on until the bottom layer is covered with a thin layer of the cake mix.  That way it isn't quite as thick and doesn't take the flavor away from pecan layer.  And, not quite as sweet.  I brought home only a couple of pieces, so it went over well.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Only one problem; I'd eat the whole thing!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Only one problem; I'd eat the whole thing!

Me too.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pecan Pie Dump Cobbler

[ Edited ]

RE:  ". . . I think I would use a cake mix with a little more flavor---maybe the butter pecan or yellow. . ."

How about German Chocolate?  

Edited to add:  To continue with the German Chocolate cake theme, add coconut to the base.  Or, if you added chocolate chips to the base, it could become more of a Turtle version, i.e., pecans, chocolate, caramel.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor
Can you use Bisquick instant of cake mix
Trusted Contributor

Dusty Rose, I suppose you could try Bisquick, but I've never used Bisquick in that way, so I'm not sure how it would turn out.

IamMrsG:  What yummy ideas.  I will have to make notes of your suggestions on my recipe and try them next time.

Love pecan pie?  The lower layer is just like excellent pie filling.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss : I do not have the caramel topping but have a bottle of caramel sauce could this be used or is it to thin? Having someone over from church tomorrow and worn out but wanted something quick and easy plus both men love pecan pie. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

How about Dulce de leche?