Honored Contributor

Peanut butter cookies

[ Edited ]

I made peanut butter cookies tonight.  The recipe calls for a round ball of dough (aprox 1 tbl.) rolled in sugar and bake.

The cookies are smaller than I want...

for more experienced bakers...this may be a dumb question but....can I just use a larger ball of dough to make a bigger cookie, or do I need a different recipe.  

My local grocery store sells the BEST peanut butter cookies, nice size and so soft.  That is what I want my end result to be.

I did not want to experiment tonight because I am having company tomorrow and need to work on a few more recipes for our cook out Saturday.

thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   You can make them any size you want.  Sounds like you didn't use a regular large tablespoon cookie dropper which is actually larger than a regular tlbs.   You might have to adjust the baking time but probably not.

Honored Contributor

@Pook   Thanks...next time I bake I will try a larger scoop

Super Contributor

I roll a ball of dough with my hands (no scoop involved), space 12 on a cookie sheet and then press them down a little with a fork dipped in sugar in a criss-cross. You can make them any size you want. I've been baking them this way forever and my family and friends love them!860D14E6-7DB8-41C5-95C8-A15A56F88F52.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@mspemberley  Those are good looking cookies, mine are much smaller!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I'm not sure about making larger cookies when they tell you exactly how large to make them, you will be changing the bake times and I'm not sure you'll get the cookie you are looking for since they will be "flat" or should I say spread more.

I will post mine for larger cookies tomorrow....they call for a generous 2" ball.

Respected Contributor

These cookies have a strong peanut butter flavor, use salted butter since it brings out the flavor

2-1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon table salt

2 sticks salted butter softened

1 cup packed dark brown sugar (I use light)

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup extra crunchy peanut butter - room temp

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup roasted salted peanuts ground in food processor to look like bread crumbs, 10-14 pulses

350 deg

adjust oven racks to upper middle and lower middle  line 2 sheets with parchment paper

whisk dry ingredients in med bowl set aside  flour baking soda, baking powder salt

stand mixer with paddle attachment medium speed beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy scraping down bowl as necessary  2-3 min

Add peanut butter and mix   30 sec - 1 min

Add eggs one at a time  30 sec - 1 min

Add vanilla when adding the last egg

slow down mixer and add dry ingredients   30-45 sec

Mix in ground peanuts just until incorporated   30 sec

Divide the dough into 36 portions

Roll the dough and placed on baking sheet, press dough with fork dipped in cold water to make criss cross design

Bake switching cookie sheets during the baking process.  Bake 10-12 minutes until the cookies are puffy and slightly brown around the edges, cookies will not look full baked.  Cook on baking sheets for 5 minutes using wide metal spatula, cool on wire rack,

These cookies are not rolled in sugar, I use a large cookie scoop to portion them out, most of the time I get 36 but I may yield 34,

I believe this recipes is from America's Test Kitchens

Really good cookies, I think you'll be surprised.  Goes fast once you

get all your ingredients staged, the prep work takes time

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I make alot ofcookies and use a larger cookie scoop and bake them at 350 degrees for 13 minutes in my oven.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00   I have a cookie scoop, what is your trick to keep the dough from sticking to the scoop?

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling   Thanks for posting your recipe!