Respected Contributor

Peanut Butter Ball (buck-eyes) recipe wanted...

Do any of you make peanut butter balls or a variation called Buck-eyes? If so, would you share your recipe? I made Southern Plate's recipe last week and thought the middle was kind of blah and the chocolate coating too thick. I then remembered that my aunt had given me a recipe a gazillion years ago, and I still had it. I made it today and like her filling a lot, but I didn't like her coating. It was too thin, so I am still on the hunt!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Peanut Butter Ball (buck-eyes) recipe wanted...

following this as well.  want something tried and true

Valued Contributor

Don't have a recipe handy, but I use the one with powdered sugar, pnut butter and rice krispies are some of the ingredients. My coating is chocolate chips and I use 1 inch square of the wax that I melt slong with the choc and it turns out perfect every time. I do put the pnut butter balls in the fridge for a while before dunking in the choc. Hope this helps

cookin

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's how I make them:

1 cup peanut butter

8 tbsp butter, cut into tablespoons and softened

1/8 tsp salt

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

toothpicks for dipping

Mix peanut butter, butter, and salt with electric mixer in bowl until most of butter is mixed in.  Slowly add sugar and mix at low speed until just combined.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Roll chilled dough into tablespoon-sized balls and place on parchment-lined plate.  Place a toothpick into each ball about 3/4 way through.  Freeze until firm, about an hour.

Microwave 10 oz. chocolate on 50% power in deep-sided bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until almost melted (2-3 minutes).  Out of microwave, stir in rest of chocolate until smooth.

Dip each chilled ball in chocolate until bottom 2/3 is covered.  Return to parchment-lined plate and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.  Thaw and remove toothpicks to serve.  I like to serve them chilled out of the refrigerator.     

Honored Contributor

Another recipe for you.....this makes a lot but you could cut it in half for less.

Buckeyes

3 lbs. confectioner's sugar

2 lbs. peanut butter, creamy

1 lb. butter, melted

1 (12 oz) pkg. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

2 tablespoons Crisco

Mix sugar, peanut butter and butter.....blend well.  Then form into small balls and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Melt chocolate chips and Crisco.  Using a toothpick, dip balls into chocolate mixture and place on waxed paper.

Valued Contributor

I've followed this recipe; it's the "official" Buckeye recipe, per OSU alumni magazine (for whatever that's worth).....

2 cups sifted powdered sugar

3/4 cup smooth peanut butter 

4 T unsalted butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon table salt

12 oz semisweet chocolate (finely chopped)

1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening 

1- line baking sheet with parchment or wax paper

2- mix sitar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, salt (beat well with wooden spoon or knead by hand); until smooth (it should be pliable but not sticky). Roll into 1 inch balls, place on prepared sheet and freeze for 15-20 minutes.

3- melt chocolate and shortening 

4- insert toothpick into the balls, dip into chocolate

The most important part.....ENJOY!! 

*ive seen variations that incorporate brown sugar (I *think* it's basically subtracting 2 T of powder sugar and replacing it with brown sugar). 

Honored Contributor

I'd taste test any of these recipes! My DH likes the kind with crushed graham crackers added to the peanut butter and powdered sugar mix.

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak so you use a 1-inch square of paraffin with a bag of chocolate chips or more? My aunt's recipe I tried today had a great filling that sounds like yours with Rice Krispies. But the coating was way too thin. I think it had too much paraffin in it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak wrote:

Don't have a recipe handy, but I use the one with powdered sugar, pnut butter and rice krispies are some of the ingredients. My coating is chocolate chips and I use 1 inch square of the wax that I melt slong with the choc and it turns out perfect every time. I do put the pnut butter balls in the fridge for a while before dunking in the choc. Hope this helps

cookin

@cookinfreak 

Do you make these with wax instead of shortening? Not Buckeyes with the rice krispies I guess but so good. Addicting they are hard to stay away from.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

Serves: 27 servings

1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
54 mini-muffin paper cups

In large electric mixer bowl, beat peanut butter, margarine and sugar on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Add Rice Krispies cereal, mixing thoroughly.

Portion mixture, using rounded teaspoon. Shape into balls. Place each ball in paper cup. Refrigerate.

Melt chocolate morsels and shortening in small saucepan, over low heat, stirring constantly.

Spoon 1 teaspoon melted chocolate over each peanut butter ball. Refrigerate until firm.

Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

@Ainhisg 

Was your recipe like the one I posted?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz the filling in my aunt's recipe (which I loved) called for:

Combine:

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened

2 cups crunchy peanut butter

3.5 cups powdered sugar

Stir in (I had to use my hands to mix this as the dough was very stiff):

3 cups rice krispies

Then to be melted in a double boiler in which to dip the candies:

1 (12 oz.)bag semi-sweet choolate chips

3/4 of one bar paraffin

This made 65 1-inch balls.  The coating is thin and doesn't have enough chocolate taste because of so much paraffin.  I am thinking of halving her filling recipe (too much candy for us), and then using the chocolate chips and less paraffin or Crisco as your recipe uses.