Respected Contributor

Paul Hollywood A Baker's Life

So I watch the British Baking shows on PBS when I see them on air so I thought, I would buy Paul's book (he's a host on the show)

Well, don't buy it, it's all in grams!

and there's some ingredients that I'll probably never find in the U.S.

I'll have to use the internet to convert this recipes...too funny.   Who would of thought...not me for sure.

Valued Contributor

Re: Paul Hollywood A Baker's Life

@Just Bling you can get a scale with TARE function that displays in grams.  Alexa can help with the conversion also.    

Honored Contributor

I like Paul.  Is it a cookbook, biography, or combination?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One more prod for me to get a kitchen scale.  I like to watch the master classes with Paul and Mary especially the Chritmas ones.  All my liiquid measure cups have both oz and mLs marked on them allready anyway.   Grams is more precise to give you a more consistant result to your baking.  Baking IS, after all,  a kind of Kitchen Chemistry.

ETA  after that I need to get an oven with "Fan".

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I like Paul.  Is it a cookbook, biography, or combination?

its both, story of him growing up with his father owning bakeries and mother baking.  I'm interested in all the bread recipes.

Honored Contributor

Since watching that show, I've converted to using their measurements.  It's easy with a scale, and you'll find yourself remembering the common ones without having to refer to a guide.  It has made a big difference in the quality of my baking.

I made a donation to my local PBS station a couple of years ago and received this book as a gift. 

IMG_3811.JPG

I'm a rather simple baker and most of the recipes are too complex.  I would assume his book is also quite complicated.  I like him a lot and I'm a huge fan of the show.  Would you recommend the book, in general?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

I would, there's nothing complicated in the book.

Recipes are a list of ingredients with instructions as to what to do with them.  Pauls' book is very simple with a medium list to put together something I have never tried or tasted.   He has some great bread recipes and that's where I'll start.  

I did look on my food scale, I can measure in grams, now how nice is that, I won't have to convert the recipes, just use my scale.