Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs You could use a dry Italian dressing mix like Good Seasons, etc. Then you can use red wine vinegar and your favorite oil to the amounts you choose. One way to make the pasta salad more healthy is to add LOTS of veggies. I especially like cuccumbers for adding bulk but few calories. It can be a complete meal by adding chicken, lean ham, low fat cheese or even shrimp.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I haven't made pasta salad for a long time because it's so fattening and I can't keep my hands off of it!  Now, I usually make my own dressing with a little bit of evoo, balsamic vinegar and seasonings or I mix the balsamic with some hummus and use that as dressing. When I used the Italian Dressing in the past, I would use some of the dressing, then put filtered water in the bottle, mix it and the calories have been lessened. Depending on how much water you put on, it never tasted that different to us or our guests. Mixing the packets does give you control with the oil content but I don't know how much sugar or salt is in there. There may be the same amount as the bottled dressing. The Ranch packets were always sooo good. I just finished dinner but I could certainly go for some pasta salad!! Yum

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

I follow this "PASTA" diet and it works pretty good!

ITALIAN PASTA DIET

1) You walka pasta da bakery.
2) You walka pasta da candy store.
3) You walka pasta da Ice Cream shop.
4) You walka pasta da table and fridge.

Enjoy your pasta!

Honored Contributor

@Coquille, thanks....why is the food that is soooo good so fattening?

Honored Contributor

I looked on the package of the pasta salad that I purchased today.....in the list of ingredients is listed GOLDEN ITALIAN DRESSING...so I googled it and in comes in gallon containers, it is a restaurant supply product.

I have never seen  that brand in my local grocery store.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I love cold pasta salad...I rarely make it because my DH does not like it so I picked up some at the grocery today, it is so good...but afraid it is fattening, so I will have to pace myself.

I am trying to figure out what they put on it to bind it....there does not seem to be dressing on it but I am sure there is.....there has to be somethiing but what ever they use it is very light.

When I have made it I used an italian dressing but that is to tart and bothers my stomach, any wild ideas on what they can be using other than a salad dressing?

The store was very busy this am so I did not ask about the dressing,

maybe next time I can ask but not sure they would share with me.  thanks

If it's not a mayo-based dressing, I think that it's usually some kind of an oil-based dressing of some kind, mixed with some type of a vinegar, too.

It could also be some type of an olive oil and vinegar type of a dressing mix, too. If olive oil is used in it, you can definitely taste the olive oil in it, too--at least I can. Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

I just love pasta salad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I like pasta salad, too, and my husband can't stand it, too.  That aside, back in the late 80s, when pasta salads were a big deal, a close friend owned one of the top catering companies in Marin County, CA.  She shared the recipe with me one evening.  It's full of stuff that's good for you, so you can totally regulate the amount of pasta you add to the remaining ingredients.  The salad dressing recipe is included as well (for this I chose to use a family recipe, which works really well with this salad.  Use just enough to coat.)

Marin County’s Best Garden Vegetable Salad

1 pkg feta cheese

3 carrots, diced

3 zucchini, diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 pint of cherry or your favorite small tomatoes, cut in half

1 can pitted kalamata olives

1 bunch scallions, slice both white and green

1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley

2 stalks of celery, diced

Cork screw pasta (1 box or pkg) - or less

Randy’s vinaigrette dressing (see below)

Chop all vegetables. Cook and drain pasta, then cool to room temp.  Mix all together in a large bowl.  Add vinaigrette and toss, 30 minutes before serving.

Randy’s Vinaigrette Dressing

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

½ cup canola, corn oil or safflower oil

4 Tbs vinegar (wine, tarragon, dark balsamic, light balsamic)

1 tsp table salt

¼ tsp finely ground pepper

½ tsp dry mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine in a container from which the dressing can be easily poured, then shake vigorously. Make one day ahead of intended initial use so flavors can develop. 

*I usually double this recipe. It’s been a staple in my frig.

*When I discovered light balsamic vinegar, it was necessary to go to lighter oil, so brought safflower into the mix.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative, thank you for taking the time to post the recipe and dressing.

Looks very good.

Honored Contributor

It settles and you normally shake it up. If you don't shake it, you could pour off oil on top @Mom2Dogs

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@cookinfreak....ok, this sounds like a dumb question, how do I drain the oil out of the italian dressing?  I did not know that was possible.