Regular Contributor

Pasta Salad with Chicken and Bacon

/><br/> <br/> What's not to love about chicken, bacon and pasta? Mmmmmmmm! When I found this recipe, right to the top of the
Since we always grill extra chicken to use in other recipes during the week-I knew this recipe would be a PERFECT HOME for some.

I love these "one dish" salads. I already had a huge tossed salad with everything but the kitchen sink for fruit and vegetables in it.....this pasta salad recipe would be a great go-along dish to round out the meal-especially on a warm summer night.

I added some diced red bell pepper since I happened to have a piece of one to use in the refrigerator-I think it added some nice color and crunch.

The dressing of the salad the way the recipe is written seemed.........flat. It didn't have enough taste for me. I doubled the garlic powder amount, upped the black pepper and in went some cayenne pepper with a few dashes of hot sauce. Hmmmmmmmmm.....still needed a lift. I had zested the lemon before juicing it just in case I thought the salad could use it..........it could-along with the juice from the other half of the lemon, That was JUST the right touch of freshness that salad needed to brighten it up. Now that I think about it, when I make this again (YES I will!), I'm going to replace the garlic powder with some "pasted" fresh garlic......I think that would add a little something more to the dressing.

Make no mistake-this is one big bowl of DELICIOUS! I like the idea of making it ahead and having it ready in the refrigerator for dinner time when it's hot and steamy outside. We really enjoyed the night it was made and the leftovers were even more delicious.

This recipe has taken a special place in the "Tried and Loved" salad recipe folder for sure.

Carol

/></span><br/> <br/> <span style=PASTA SALAD WITH CHICKEN AND BACON
(Source: adapted from Diana Rattay @ southernfood.about.com)

8 oz. mini penne pasta or macaroni
6-8 slices bacon, diced and cooked until done but not crisp
2 c. diced cooked chicken breast (I don't measure the chicken-I use what I have)
1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
2 plum tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/3 c. diced red bell pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste
Salt, to taste
1/2-3/4 c. mayonnaise
Juice and grated zest of 1 medium lemon
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
A few dashes of hot sauce-probably about 1/4 tsp. if measured (I just eyeball the amount)

Cook pasta following package directions; drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water and drain well.

In a large bowl, combine diced bacon, chicken, red onion, tomatoes, celery, red bell pepper and parsley; toss to blend the ingredients.

Combine 1/2 c. mayonnaise and lemon juice and lemon zest; mix well. Add garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and salt to taste . Stir into vegetable mixture until vegetables are coated. Add pasta; toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, and add a little more mayonnaise if the salad seems too dry. Refrigerate until serving time. 6-8 servings.

/></span></div> <div> </div> </div>