Trusted Contributor

Panzanella for dinner tonight

I just made the dressing for panzanella salad tonight.  Such a good summer dinner!  I don't have a written recipe, just how I learned from my mom and aunts.

Vinaigrette is extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, a bit of agave (or honey), salt & pepper to taste.  I make mine in a jar, easy to just shake it up to mix.

Salad is chunks of tomato, fresh mozzarella, sliced red onion and homemade croutons (either from Italian or Ciabatta bread).  Toss together and top with fresh basil.

Honored Contributor

Re: Panzanella for dinner tonight

I love panzanella salad especially when it's been sitting awhile and gets the croutons soft and flavorful!

Honored Contributor

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

Yum!!

I never knew this salad existed until I came across Ina Garten's Grilled Panzanella Salad recipe.  She grills the bread, onions and bell peppers and adds them to the tomatoes and cucumbers with the dressing.  (Bonus is to grill some chicken while you're at it.)  It's a summer staple now.

Honored Contributor

Had that as a child.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick 
My dad made his own version of this.  He'd take all the ingredients and fill the heel of fresh Italian bread with it.  He'd pull out the soft center bread of the heel..fill and dress it...then put the soft bread back in it to sop up all the juice and dressing.  It was his favorite summer lunch...DW

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse yes!  that's when the bread is so good!

Trusted Contributor

@dancingwoman how interesting!  That sounds wonderful.  What a nice memory.

Respected Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Knit-Chick 
My dad made his own version of this.  He'd take all the ingredients and fill the heel of fresh Italian bread with it.  He'd pull out the soft center bread of the heel..fill and dress it...then put the soft bread back in it to sop up all the juice and dressing.  It was his favorite summer lunch...DW

@dancingwoman My mouth is watering. What a nice presentation that would make.....very rustic. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I love panzanella. I even have my husband loving it now. I make it like Knit-Chick but add cucumber. I make my croutons using ciabatta and olive oil. It’s so refreshing!!