Trusted Contributor

Paging ms traditional About Old Request

@ms traditional

Don't know why your request from 2014 sticks in my mind so -- probably because it sounded so simple as you described it, yet nobody could find a trace of it.  Anyway, I always think of it when browsing through Fruit Desserts.

>>>Started 06/16/2014 in Recipe Swap by mstraditio­nal

My mother used to serve a dessert concoction of sour cream, creme de cacao, canned cherries - and maybe kirsch or other ingredients. my memory fails me and i can't find her recipe does this sound familiar to anyone? HELP!

>>>>>

------------

I saw this last night in a little cookbook from 1968 called "What's Cookin' in Saint Augustine (Florida) and thought of your request:

Strawberry Delight

1 pint fresh strawberries, pitted fresh Bing cherries, or fresh seedless grapes
1 pint sour cream

Sugar

Sherry

Cut strawberries in half (save 4 for garnish).  Sprinkle strawberries with sugar, cover with sherry and marinate in refrigerator 2 to 3 hours.  Drain strawberries (saving marinade) and mix with the sour cream.  Spoon mixture in dessert glasses, cover with marinade and garnish with whole strawberry.

Refrigerate until serving time.  serves 4.

------------------------------

Did you ever succeed in recreating the taste you remembered from the dessert your mom made?

Respected Contributor

Re: Paging ms traditional About Old Request

@Honeybit  wow!  that's some kind of memory.  and i appreciate your keeping it in mind all this time.   interesting how the fruit in this is marinated in the sherry.  i think i will revive my interest in recreating this dessert -  maybe for the upcoming holidays.  if i figure it out, will post.

Respected Contributor

Hi @ms traditional & @Honeybit!

This thread piqued my interest too! Smiley Happy

I did a search, and the closest I could come was a page of the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It's an incomplete recipe, though, as the sour cream part is referenced as being found on a separate page.

What do you think, @ms traditional?

JOC All New Rev. - 1997 - Page 456 - Google Books Result

While searching, I came across a really cool site of retro recipes. Check it out! Here:

Hey, my mom used to make that!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sabatini  that has all of the vital ingredients.  i am going to give it a try.  i found the sour cream whipped topping on a Google search:   beat 1 c heavy cream with 1/2 c sour cream to soft peaks.   refrigerate one day.   i don't remember Mother cooking cherries with the liqueur -  but i think this is her recipe's twin sister.    thank you! oh and that is a neat web site of old recipes.  i look forward to browsing.   thank you again!

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional, please let us know if the taste is what you remembered....Smiley Happy

Muddling through...