Regular Contributor

i came across this recipe of FB but it came from Taste of Home. I'm going to post the recipe but I have a question I would like your opinion on.

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened (I'm going to use light cream cheese)

2 c. confectioner's sugar

1 c. canned pumpkin

1/2 c. sour cream (also using light version here)

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Gingersnap cookies

In a lg. bowl beat cream cheese & confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, sour cream, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice & ginger till blended. Refrigerate. Serve with gingersnaps (I bought some pretzels & other things).

Now here's my question. I know this came from Taste of Home which tells me someone has made it a lot & liked it enough to share it in the magazine. I've always been told when you use pumpkin pie spice you shouldn't use cinnamon as there is cinnamon in the pumpkin pie spice. The ginger I'm not sure about. What do you guys think about it?

Regular Contributor

Re: PUMPKIN PIE DIP - QUESTION

There is ginger and cinnamon in pumpkin pie spice....I don't see where adding extra would hurt...why don't you try making it with just the pumpkin pie spice, then do a taste test to determine what YOU like?
Super Contributor

LilBit posted one similar a few years back, but it used the pie filling mix , which has spices in it(like the pie spice in this recipe), and no sour cream. It also has 1 t. cinn and 1/2-1 t. ground ginger in the recipe. So this recipe may be right on track! Like Snik said, make it as you wish and taste it to see if you need more spice in it.

Regular Contributor

I think I will try it with the pumpkin pie spice & refrigerate it for awhile & then try it. I have some current cinnamon but my ground ginger is really old & I'm sure has no taste so it's better left out anyway. I'm going to make it later but I'm not feeling very good so I'm not sure about my tasting abilities. I'll let you know. I have another recipe to post but I want to make it first but am going to wait till I'm feeling better.

Honored Contributor

Ginger Snap cookies are delicious with just brie cheese. Always a hit at my house.

Regular Contributor

Well I ended up using 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice along with a dash of cinnamon. Perfect!

Honored Contributor

Dip on ginger snaps - that's a new one!

Regular Contributor

Wanted to let you all know one thing. Although the instructions did not say to sift the powdered sugar - I think if I was making it for a party or company, I would. I noticed when I got some today that there were a lot of little "bumps" in it. I did use a hand mixer so I suppose maybe I didn't beat it enough (though I thought I did) but I just thought I would let anyone know who might want to make it. It is really good. I think it is thick enough that it could be placed in desert glasses or something like that other than just using it for a dip.

Esteemed Contributor

I always add extra cinnamon when I make pumpkin pie (my mom's recipe), so I would not worry about it. Ceylon or Vietnamese cinnamon is delish.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

How about using it in a parfait layered with crumbled ginger snap or spice cookies? It sounds really good.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment