Honored Contributor

Re: POTATO SALAD WITH BACON AND BARBECUE SAUCE

Oh @PINKdogWOOD !!

I can't thank you enough!  That recipe sounds fantastic!

Cukes, huh?  How interesting!  I don't think I have ever seen a German Pot Recipe with cukes!  I love that idea...and any recipe w/ dill is going to be a hit w/ me!!

I will have to check out that show! 

Thank you so much again!  I can't wait to try this!  I have been on a quest to find the best German Pot Recipe to prove to DH once and for all that the 'stuff' his mom served from the can is NOT gourmet dining!  LOL

May I bother you with one more question?

Which type of vinegar do you use??

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  You are so welcome - I hope your DH will love it too!  It's so good to make with brats - they do go hand in hand on a football Sat or Sunday - or both!

Vinegar - for this I'd probably use apple cidar vin although anything will work.  If you have only white, go for it.  I'm also loving red wine vinegar, this would be good too.  This is what I always grab for regualr green salads too.  I actually hate when I run out of red wine vin but I always need to go to a big grocery to find it.  I typically go to my local Aldi's but they don't carry red wine and I don't recall ever seeing apple cidar vin either.  They also don't carry red or white cooking wine which I'm out of right now.

So anyway, get busy making this German Pot salad and enjoy it - I know you will! 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @PINKdogWOOD

I always have Apple Cider, Red Wine and White Wine Vinegars in my pantry as well as an assortment of Balsamics.

I just never really know when to use which!

I appreciate your suggestion and will stick w/ Apple.

My Wegman's has a pretty good variety of vinegars although I was unable to find Sherry Vinegar there.  Super WM was mentioned for the sherry...

I have white vinegar also...but I only seem to clean with it!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  Let me know if/when you make the German Pot salad and how you like(d) it please.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@RespectLife  Let me know if/when you make the German Pot salad and how you like(d) it please.

@PINKdogWOOD

Oh I certainly will!  I am hoping this weekend!  DH was gone to Chicago so I didn't have to cook lately!

Valued Contributor

Thank you for your response DiAnne, looking forward to more recipes from you.  Moderation is the key for the ones that love food and have a hard time saying enough.

Valued Contributor

Hi this looks good.. ? for you,

The measurement of olive oil would be 1/4 of ?

Valued Contributor

That is good with garlic and onions.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

Just wanted to let you know I made the German Pot Salad on Saturday and you were right!  It IS delicious!  I loved the unexpected cukes in it!  AND I was able to use some of the whole grain mustard I had!  I bought a bottle for one recipe and didn't know what to do w/ the rest!  Many thanks again...it is a keeper!

We smoked Bobby Chez Smashed Burgers and this was a great side dish!

I do have one question though...it said to cook the pots in the remaining 1/2 cup vinegar.  1/2 cup liquid didn't seem to be enough liquid for that many potatoes.  I had to add water.   I think I used too small of pot for that many taters though.

Do you add water or are you able to cook 3lbs of taters in just the remaining vinegar?

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  Wonderful that you so enjoy this new recipe.  Since it's been just me & DH eating these we typically will do how ever many taters we want to do, I can't say it's 3lbs.  We do not however alter the amts of the rest of the ingredients.  Seems to still work for  us.  It's possible we are doing 3lbs or close to, I'm not sure.  So for us we probably do 5-6 medium to large sized taters.

Obviously what you did by adding some water certainly worked.

Enjoy this one periodically throughout the fall/winter.  Share with your family - you'll now have something new to set on your table with many others.