Honored Contributor

Re: POTATO SALAD WITH BACON AND BARBECUE SAUCE

@DiAnne wrote:

@RespectLife

I am so glad you liked it!  Tarragon is my favorite herb but you have to be careful because it can overpower a dish.  I use it in chicken salad, sauces, salad dressing, etc.  People seem to either love or hate it (like cilantro).  Putting the tarragon stems in the cavity of a chicken you are going to roast is wonderful.  

Thanks @DiAnne     Great suggestions!

yummm...salad dressings!

I actually didn't have fresh but had a bottle from The Spice House I purchased for....I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT!  LOL

The bottle did warn it was a strong flavor.  I admit to chucking a little extra in!

I can't wait to try it on chix too!

I just kept smelling it!!

Valued Contributor

A 104!!!

That is a sticky mess.  This was an after thought.  I feel for you.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@DiAnne  This certainly sounds like a really good change of pace to the typical potato salad many of us make.

In the fall/winter we also really enjoy making German potato salad.  We do the one from cook's country, easy and very tasty.

@PINKdogWOOD

Is this German Potato Salad recipe available somewhere?  Would you mind sharing it?

We love German Pot salad but I don't have a great recipe for it.

Thanks much!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

Treat yourself to some fresh tarragon.  It is much better - you will not believe the difference.  Just remember to save the stems to stick inside that chicken to roast!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  Not sure how long ago you asked me to post this recipe.  I'm busy doing housework yesterday & today but yes I will post it for you later today or tomorrow.

I know Cook's Country does not like to post their recipes unless you join or subscribe then it's hard to get them online.  We do get their recipe books so I'll get this one posted for you soon.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@DiAnne  Not sure how long ago you asked me to post this recipe.  I'm busy doing housework yesterday & today but yes I will post it for you later today or tomorrow.

I know Cook's Country does not like to post their recipes unless you join or subscribe then it's hard to get them online.  We do get their recipe books so I'll get this one posted for you soon.

That was me @PINKdogWOOD asking for the German Pot Salad recipe.

There is no rush!  I have never heard of Cook's Country...if there is a problem posting it, I understand.

Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife I am so sorry Ms Life!  I tend to read responses before I look to see who it's from.

And no prob on the recipe - here goes it:

Serves 8 they say

2tbls sugar

1 Cucumber qrtd, seeded, cut into 1/4" slices

1 cup vinegar

1/2 tspn dried dill

salt/pep to taste

8 slices bacon chopped

3 lbs small red potatoes scrubbed, cut 1/4" thick

1 minced onion

1/4 olive oil

1/4 cup coarse grain mustard

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Stir sugar, cuke, 1/2 cup vin, dill ,1/2 tspn salt in bowl, set aside

Boil potatoes to tender w/remaining vin, 1 tbls salt.Drain, return to pot.

Fry bacon in skillet til crisp, set aside.

Keep 2 tbsp bacon grease, add oil saute onion to just brown

Drain cukes, reservse juice. 

Whisk juice, mustard, 1 tspn pepper into skillet, bring to simmer. Pour dressing over warm potatoes, stir to combine. Let set about 10 minutes.

Add parsley, cukes & bacon into potatoes. Salt/pep to taste.

Enjoy!

We love this recipe. Takes a little time but well worth it - it's a good one!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  Cook's Country is a 1/2hr cooking show on PBS Saturday early afternoons. 

Valued Contributor

What is the calorie and sodium count per serving for those that are health concerned?

Honored Contributor

@A60_Chevy

I posted the original potato salad.  I tore it out of a magazine and I have since retyped the recipe and thrown the original away.  I don't remember if there was nutritional info but considering it is potato salad with mayo and bacon it can't good!