Esteemed Contributor

Finely found the Campbells Old Fashion Tomato Rice Soup!

Today decided to cook a couple chops with it.  

Very lightly browned two thin chops in my LE pan.  Then took those aside, salt and peppered; and, added an orange pepper I had sliced up.  Then added two cans of the soup and 1/2 of one of the cans of water.  Placed the chops back into the pan, covered, and put it into a 300* pre-heated oven for 1.5hrs.

Mentioned this to two friends.  Both kinda freaked and said I'd have shoeleather when done.   Thought my chops were doomed...Woman Frustrated

When I removed pan from oven, I went to lift a chop to check temp but the chop fell apart:  they weren't tough, they were fork tender!!!!!  No knives neededWoman Very Happy!

This dinner is Eddy Approved!!!  My furbaby ate 1.5 chops - I got 1/2 and it was delicious.

Just thought I'd share 'cause it was easy-peasy to make.  Would have added a sliced onion but couldn't since I was sharing with Eddy. 

Respected Contributor

I'm sure Eddie enjoyed the dish, however, be careful about feeding pork to dogs.  One of the most common causes of pancreatitis in dogs are pork and pork products.  Pork is rich in a fat that is difficult for dogs to digest.

Not trying to preach, just trying to be informative.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I'm sure Eddie enjoyed the dish, however, be careful about feeding pork to dogs.  One of the most common causes of pancreatitis in dogs are pork and pork products.  Pork is rich in a fat that is difficult for dogs to digest.

Thanx, @Scooby Doo .  This was the first time I've ever given him pork.  We usually do chicken, hamburg and fish, also the salmon from the Q - he really loves fish!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Thanx, @Scooby Doo .  This was the first time I've ever given him pork.  We usually do chicken, hamburg and fish, also the salmon from the Q - he really loves fish!

It just concerned me because my friend's dog recently died from pancreatitis.  She had been giving the dog table scraps with fatty foods including the chicken skin and the fat from a roast.  She didn't realize she was killing her dog with kindness.

My dog used to like fish but she won't touch it now.  She gets fussy sometimes and it's hard to find something she will eat.  She won't touch dry food.  What's a mother to do....

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Scooby Doo 

Absolutely correct, I never feed Kingston pork products.

He gets Beggin' Strips for treats instead of real bacon (shhhh....don't tell him, he's sure it's real bacon!)

ETA: Also no rice, it ferments in their gut and can can cause serious issues, including pancreatitis.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

It just concerned me because my friend's dog recently died from pancreatitis.  She had been giving the dog table scraps with fatty foods including the chicken skin and the fat from a roast.  She didn't realize she was killing her dog with kindness.

My dog used to like fish but she won't touch it now.  She gets fussy sometimes and it's hard to find something she will eat.  She won't touch dry food.  What's a mother to do....

I know - it's sooo easy to spoil them!  So sorry for your friend.  Eddy won't eat peanut butter anymore - funny how their likes change.  He won't eat wet food - only dry kibble with veggies (usually) or meat/poultry or other proteins.  Thanks again for the info!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Scooby Doo 

Absolutely correct, I never feed Kingston pork products.

He gets Beggin' Strips for treats instead of real bacon (shhhh....don't tell him, he's sure it's real bacon!)

ETA: Also no rice, it ferments in their gut and can can cause serious issues, including pancreatitis.

@KingstonsMom , never knew about the rice!!!!  I always thought that was good for them! Thanks for mentioning that.

Esteemed Contributor

I've tried cooking pork chops for a long time on low heat and even all day in the crockpot....nope, still tough. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe next time Eddie will cook dinner for you.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme   What is an LE pan?  I don't know what the LE stands for.