Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@last mango wrote:

By any chance is the pimento cheese at Costco the one from Palmetto ? It is a South Carolina company that has been branching out nationwide.  They haven’t made it to our Costco yet in Minnesota but they are in many Costco stores.  It is sold nationwide at Target but in a smaller container and I love it ! Very good stuff😁 

i always grab grab a tub when we travel to Florida and keep it st the hotel for snacking😀

here is a picture of it-

11EC704C-5D6A-4351-99EF-B0864D11BCD3.jpeg

This is the brand sold at my local Costco.

This is good pre-made pimento cheese.  I'm afraid my recipe is simpler than most. 

1lb brick of extra sharp white cheddar grated

1or 2 jars of pimentos drained depending upon how you like it

enough mayo to bring it together

salt and pepper to taste

I have added some diced pickled jalapenos, but other than that just plain pimento cheese.  I do let it come to room temp as it softens and is easier to spread and brings out the cheese flavor better as most cheese really should be eaten at room temp.  I also know people freak over mayo being room temp, but it is actually very acidic and is safe. Alton Brown did a special on this.

I will give the first two recipes on this page a try as I'm doing my shopping on Sunday and will try one this week and one the next.  I will say that you should always use freshly grated cheese versus the pre-grated stuff.  It has cellulose, fiber like in Metamucil, to keep it from sticking together as real grated cheese does.  It will thicken the pimento cheese as it sits in the fridge.  It can get glue-like.

I did have a co-worker that did do catering, but her pimento cheese had cool-whip in it.  It was too sweet and oily because of the cool-whip.  If she had used freshly whipped cream it might have been different but living in the deep south of Georgia, I don't recall reading any recipe that ever had any cool-whip in it.  It might have been just her but I didn't like it.  She did serve it with these bacon-wrapped Captian's Wafers.  YUM!  You wrap each wafer with a half slice of bacon and bake them on a wire rack in a jelly roll pan so they don't sit in the grease.  I like my bacon crispy, so I bake these longer than most, but I just keep an eye on them until done.  No time I'm afraid.