Trusted Contributor

Re: PHYLLIS DILLER'S POTATO SALAD

Looks great. What happens if you leave the sugar out? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

I gotta try this !Thanks. I loved Phyllis Diller!

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

This is a recipe I used many times and it is amazingly good.  As I mentioned in the Thread in Community Chat about Hellmann's mayo, my mother was German, born there, as well as three of my aunts.  To me no one could make potato salad the way they did until I tried this one and I promise you, if you try it you will love it.

1 plus 1/2 cups Hellmann's Mayonnaise

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

2 chopped onions

3 tablespoons lemon juice

6 boiled potatoes

1/2 cup finely diced celery (optional)

Salt to taste

Cut your boiled skinned potatoes into cubes.  Mix the lemon juice with the sugar.  When the sugar is dissolved, add the mayonnaise and stir.  In a separate bowl, combine the potatoes, onion and celery together.  Pour the mayonnaise mixture over potatoes and fold in.  Add salt to taste and gently mix.  Chill until serving time.  Serves ten.

@Lindsays Grandma

DH has been requesting potato salad so I went in search of a new recipe and found this one.  I made it this morning and just tasted it after chilling several hours and it is very good.  I will add sliced hard boiled eggs to it when serving.  I have never used lemon juice in potato salad before but really love that addition.  Thanks for posting the recipe.  I know it will become a favorite of ours.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
New Contributor

I like to add 1/4 cup red wine vinegar to my hot, drained potatoes, it's fabulous!  

NEVER any eggs!

For three pounds of red potatoes, I also add finely diced red onion, celery, green pepper & about a tablespoon of fresh snipped dill.  If I don't have dill, I'll finely chop baby dill pickles. Finally, mix with Hellman's mayo - do not smother in mayo! 

My my family loves it!

Enjoy!

Contributor

Thanks for posting this!  Memories gurgle up...Phyllis Diller has a connection to St Louis, my hometown, where she got her start at comedy clubs and lived in a St Louis municipality/suburb called Webster Groves.  I've seen this recipe years ago, it may have appeared in a local newspaper during her hey day.  Thanks, again.

Valued Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma - potatoes come in so many sizes!  Approximately how much cut up potatoes do I want to end up with?  Or what weight do I start with?  Just seems like a lot of mayo for 6 normal size potatoes.  This looks yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

@The_Selkie wrote:

I like to add 1/4 cup red wine vinegar to my hot, drained potatoes, it's fabulous!  

NEVER any eggs!

For three pounds of red potatoes, I also add finely diced red onion, celery, green pepper & about a tablespoon of fresh snipped dill.  If I don't have dill, I'll finely chop baby dill pickles. Finally, mix with Hellman's mayo - do not smother in mayo! 

My my family loves it!

Enjoy!

Everyone has their own tastes.  We can take a recipe, add or remove ingredients and experiment until it is exactly the way we like it.  That's part of the fun of cooking and you sound like someone who makes your family happy with the food you put on the table!! Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

I like Yukon Gold, very little dicing.Plus I like the golden color.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  I'm making this today. A few questions:

1) I assume you use white onions, yes?

2) What size potato/what type do you use when making this?

TIA!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma   This my recipe, I made it up, except I add hard boiled eggs and use cider vinegar instead of lemon juice.  I eyeball the amounts of ingredients as I have been making it for eons.