Esteemed Contributor

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

12 slices of day-oled bread (I used a 3/4 of a loaf of french bread)

2 - 8 Ounce Packages of Cream Cheese

1 Cup of Fresh Blueberries (not cheap this time of the year, FYI)

12 Eggs, beaten

2 Cups of Milk

1/3 Cup Maple Syrup

1 Cup White Sugar

2 Teaspoons of Cornstarch

1 Cup of Water

1 Cup of Fresh Blueberries (a total of 2 cups)

1 Tablespoon Butter

Spray a 9x13 with non-stick cooking spray.  Arrange the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes.  Sprinkle 1 cup of blueberries over the cream cheese top with remaining bread cubes.

In a large bowl mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract (recipe did not indicate an amount we used approx. 2 teaspoons, and syrup.  Cover & refrigerate overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes, Uncover and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until center is firm, and lightly browned.

In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch and water.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly cook for 3-4 minutes.  Mix in the remaining blueberries, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst, stir in the butter, and pour over the french toast.

Respected Contributor

Re: Overnight Blueberry French Toast

That sounds good. It would be good for Christmas morning. I wonder if you could use thawed frozen blueberries.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears

Thank you! That looks fabulous!  My DH says he hates French toast, but I think he'd love this if I called it something else... weird? I know.

@CLHS68

I use frozen blueberries almost exclusively for baking.  Don't thaw them first. They thaw very easily when baking and the frozen ones are more likely to hold their shape and not turn the entire recipe blue.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you!  I will definitely be making this!!

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat I use frozen fruit also, but since I had to purchase blueberries I decided to use the fresh.

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies I thought frozen would work.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears

@CLHS68

Just to be clear - I freeze pints of fresh blueberries to use for baking, as they hold their shape and don't color the entire muffin or cake. I'm not sure if it's the same if you buy them already frozen. I've never purchased them that way - are they whole or with juices?

~ house cat ~