Respected Contributor

Re: Over bought cookie ingredients....ugh.

[ Edited ]

@software   In May of 2013 FunkyHulaGirl posted a recipe for Raspberry Coconut Magic Bars that is a gussied up version of the original Eagle sweetened condensed milk recipe.

Her contributions, especially in baking, were always wonderful.  She no longer participates here, alas. Use the search function and select "board" category and you will find it.

The original, without raspberry preserves, is also posted here, I think by me, a couple of years ago but now I couldn't locate it here in a quick "search" effort, but you definitely will find it on the internet.

Happy cookie ventures to all . . .

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

There's a great layered bar cookie using sweetened condensed milk.

I think they are called Magic Cookie Bars or 7 Layer cookie bar.

Lots of good recipes on the website for Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk

@Nightowlz wrote:

Never ate any cookies made with sweetened condensed milk.

I did the same during Christmas. I bought too many bags of peanut butter chips & not enought butterscotch chips. LOL!!!

@software 

Well I have ate those. My mom used to make them. Have not ate one in a long time.

Techinically it's not a cookie but those bar type cookies take less time to make. LOL!!!

Valued Contributor

It said use a cookie scoop but the dough was so stiff!!! I just used a tablespoon.

Occasional Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Never ate any cookies made with sweetened condensed milk.

I did the same during Christmas. I bought too many bags of peanut butter chips & not enought butterscotch chips. LOL!!!

Just curious what you use your butterscotch chips for? I bought some this year for the first time, just for the heck of it, and haven't used them yet! Does anyone else have any good uses for them too? 

Valued Contributor

I have WHITE chocolate chips..... not butterscotch... i have never used white before.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a recipe that uses Butterscotch baking chips:

Nestle Oatmeal Scotchies--from the very best baking website

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange
  • 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) Nestle Toll House Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
INSTRUCTIONS
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION:
Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.
Trusted Contributor

You can find the recipe for the 7 Layer Magic Cookie Bars at the Eagle Brand Recipe Site.

As previously mentioned, the recipe uses both chocolate chips and butterscotch baking morsels. Smiley Happy

Here is a link to the recipe itself:

https://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/sevenlayermagiccookiebars-3966

I wasn't able to copy and paste it because it had buttons in front of each ingredient as a check-off list. 

I love these magic bars. I used to make them all of the time. 

I stopped making them because they were just too good to eat! LOL!! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I called my self being smart and I made a bunch of cookie dough and froze it.  I was ready.  And then I didn't bake as many cookies as I usually do.  I'm staying away but I see that hubby pops half dozen in the oven almost every evening to snack on so that cookie dough won't be around too much longer.  

Occasional Contributor

@Toppers3  Thanks so much for the ideas! I would love both of them, but my hubby has an *ahem* aversion 😂 to coconut, so I will likely make the Nestle Oatmeal Scotchies. They sound wonderful, and easy as well. After the holidays I think I need easy! So sweet of you to take the time to post for me.

Trusted Contributor

@3DogMom2022 wrote:

@Toppers3  Thanks so much for the ideas! I would love both of them, but my hubby has an *ahem* aversion 😂 to coconut, so I will likely make the Nestle Oatmeal Scotchies. They sound wonderful, and easy as well. After the holidays I think I need easy! So sweet of you to take the time to post for me.

You're very welcome!

This is an oldie, but a goodie in terms of a recipe. Smiley Happy

My Mom used to bake these for us when I was little. I haven't made any in a long time.

The Eagle Brand website has many different recipes on there, so maybe you can find something where you can make the bars without the coconut. Smiley Happy