Honored Contributor

After many years of pork dishes, or Hoppin' John, DS asked if we could make a ham. I haven't "made" a ham in a while - we usually order a spiral cut one, but I told him OK. He found a Facebook recipe and brought it to me. The problem was it was for a 1-1/2 lb. ham, and that wouldn't do for our family. So, I did some research and improvised. 

Since I was changing the meat, I decided to change the sides too - except for our black-eyed peas of course. Everyone thought everything was outstanding and the recipes are all "keepers." So sometimes, it does pay to experiment! 

Here's what I made. Let me know if you want any of the recipes! Smiley Happy

Pastry Wrapped Holiday Ham - by Tasty, with some of my "tweaks"

June's Potatoes - from The Simple Joys of Friendship (Gooseberry Patch)

Lemon Garlic Roasted Green Beans - from Cooking with Paula Deen (December 2017)

Cranberry-Spinach Salad - from The Simple Joys of Friendship (Gooseberry Patch)

Honored Contributor

Re: Our New Year's Day Dinner

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom, well that was nice of you.  To even offer up the recipes.  I love Gooseberry Patch and have numerous books of theirs and I told my husband, it's like having all these recipe files in a book.  All tried and true.  I love to read those books and trust them.  I came back to add that I have some Paula Deen cookbooks too.

Do you have any Amish ones?  We seem to choose similar ones.  

Valued Contributor

I would like to have the recipe for June's Potatoes if you have time.  I tried to Google it but am not having any luck.  Sounds like a great meal.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I'd like June's potatoes too, please.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal - You're right! We do seem to like the same ones. I have a few Amish cookbooks. DH's mom was actually Pennsylvania Dutch, and was an excellent cook as well as a Home Economics teacher. Unfortunately, she died shortly after we were married, but I did get to spend some time with her. Her mother outlived her by many years, so I learned how to make some of their favorite dishes. 

@coconut1818 and @ECBG - here is the recipe for June's potatoes. My family is really fussy about potatoes, and they weren't thrilled about not having one of our "regular" recipes, but they all ended up raving about them! Smiley Happy

June's Potatoes

30 oz. pkg. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, divided

12 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

2 c. whipping cream

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1/2 c. soft bread crumbs

2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Pour 3/4 of the pkg. of hash browns into a large bowl. Save the rest for another use. In a lightly greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish (I used a 9 x 13 casserole), layer half the hash browns and half the cheese. Repeat the layers. In a separate bowl combine whipping cream and salt and pepper (do not whip). Pour over potatoes. Mix bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.