Honored Contributor

Opinion about substitution of ingredients

On a whim I bought a package of Italian sausage.

I saw the end of a cooking show yesterday and they made sausage rice balls. Sounded interesting but they were deep fried. I would rather not deep fry sausage. Sounds too fatty.

So I looked up sausage rice recipes. And found a recipe that sounded good. BUT it calls for cream of celery soup. I don't have cream of celery soup. I have already been to the grocery store one time today. Would rather not go again.

The ingredients for the recipe are sausage, onion, celery, red pepper flakes, chicken broth, cream of celery soup and rice. 

Do you think cream of mushroom or cream of chicken would work? Or should I just go out to the grocery again?

Respected Contributor

Re: Opinion about substitution of ingredients

My opinion, for what it is worth, 🤣 is I would try the cream of chicken.  Since there is chicken broth in the recipe.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

When it comes to those three cream soups (mushroom, celery, chicken), I find they are all interchangeable.  

Sounds like a good recipe!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla  I usually consider all my cream of something soups to be interchangeable. To be safe, you could go with the cream of chicken, but the cream of mushroom might add an interesting element. I love mushrooms!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla    Of course any cream soup would work.  I interchange them all the time.  I can't stand cream of mushroom and always substitute another soup for it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I appreciate your input. I thought the same thing. 

But since it called for chopped celery in the recipe, I wasn't sure if I should continue with a celery soup. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla Just for me, I *hate* cream of mushroom soup so I would use any other cream soup. Cream of chicken would be my choice.

Esteemed Contributor

I certainly substitute ingredients for things I like better than for what's called for. Or, for what I have on hand.

@drizzellla  In this case, though, you could make your own cream of celery if you had the celery, butter & flour for a roux and milk and/or cream.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I certainly substitute ingredients for things I like better than for what's called for. Or, for what I have on hand.

@drizzellla  In this case, though, you could make your own cream of celery if you had the celery, butter & flour for a roux and milk and/or cream.

I never thought of that. I have plenty of celery. And I have made a roux in the past but don't have any cream. I wish I had planned this better. I went to the dairy on Friday. 

Honored Contributor

Cream of chicken soup is the only cream soup you will ever find in my pantry.  I am allergic to mushrooms and olives, so those ingredients are not found in any food made here for my consumption.