Honored Contributor

I'm noticing there are just slight variations in these Onion Soup recipes upon closer review.  They are starting to all sound alike!

French Onion Soup with THYME & GRUYERE

by Mimi Thorris

Yield: Makes 8 servings

ingredients

• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or duck fat
  • 6 large onions (about 5 pounds), thinly sliced
  • 2 large shallots, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 4 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 sprigs thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 8 1/4 "-thick slices country bread, toasted
  • 8 ounces sliced Comté cheese or Gruyère

• Special equipment: Eight 10–12 ounces ovenproof bowls

preparation

Heat butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, shallots, and garlic; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and dark brown, 60–70 minutes. Add vermouth and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.

Tie parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with kitchen twine; add to pot along with broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 8 cups, 35–40 minutes; discard herb bundle.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Place ovenproof bowls on a large rimmed baking sheet. Divide soup among bowls and top with toasts (cut to fit if necessary) and cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 6–8 minutes.

DO AHEAD: Soup can be made 2 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

Honored Contributor

Well, this one doesn't say 'French" but it has onions...AND BEER!  Have not tried this one yet....

Onion and Beer Soup

1 TBSP. olive oil

1 ½# sweet onions, such as Walla Walla, Maui, Vidalia, or Mayan cut into thin slices

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 TBSP. unsalted butter

12 oz. beer, preferably a slightly sweet one such as a Belgian ale or wheat beer

4 cups homemade or no-salt added chicken broth (I substituted vegetable broth)

Shredded parmesan cheese, to taste

Heat the oil in a 5 qt. pot, preferably one that is wide and not too tall, over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper to taste; cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are completely soft, adjusting the heat as needed so the onions do not brown.

Add the butter, stirring to incorporate as it melts. Increase the heat to medium high; add the beer. Once it comes to a boil, cook for 3-4 minutes or until the beer has reduced by half. Stir in the broth, then cover the pot and reduce the heat so the liquid barely bubbles at the edges. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring a few times, then taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add parmesan cheese to taste before serving.  

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Well, this one doesn't say 'French" but it has onions...AND BEER!  Have not tried this one yet....

Onion and Beer Soup

1 TBSP. olive oil

1 ½# sweet onions, such as Walla Walla, Maui, Vidalia, or Mayan cut into thin slices

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 TBSP. unsalted butter

12 oz. beer, preferably a slightly sweet one such as a Belgian ale or wheat beer

4 cups homemade or no-salt added chicken broth (I substituted vegetable broth)

Shredded parmesan cheese, to taste

Heat the oil in a 5 qt. pot, preferably one that is wide and not too tall, over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper to taste; cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are completely soft, adjusting the heat as needed so the onions do not brown.

Add the butter, stirring to incorporate as it melts. Increase the heat to medium high; add the beer. Once it comes to a boil, cook for 3-4 minutes or until the beer has reduced by half. Stir in the broth, then cover the pot and reduce the heat so the liquid barely bubbles at the edges. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring a few times, then taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add parmesan cheese to taste before serving.  

Oh @RespectLife this recipe looks great, thank you for posting this and the other versions.  As it is getting cooler, I would love to make some onion soup and this one sounds great (although I would have to mix a bit of Gruyere into the cheese mix as I have to have my "strings" . . . tee hee!).

Honored Contributor

Onion Soup with Giant Gruyère Crostini  

by Jessica Strand

Cooking for Two: Perfect Meals for Pairs

ONION SOUP.jpg

ingredients

• 1 pound yellow onions, halved and thinly cut lengthwise
  • 3 to 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • Fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2-inch-thick slice of ciabatta bread cut in half
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss Gruyère cheese

preparation

In a heavy 5-quart pot melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste and cook until the onions are deep amber and exceedingly soft, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the wine, increase the heat, and let the wine bubble away for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef stock and water, and let the soup simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to broil. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven.

Place the ciabatta on the middle rack of the oven and toast until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs from the soup and discard. Pour the soup into two ovenproof bowls, float the toasted ciabatta on top, and cover it with a thick layer of the Gruyère. Put the soup bowls under the broiler on the middle rack and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and golden.

Source Information
From Cooking for Two: Perfect Meals for Pairs by Jessica Strand. Text copyright © 2009 by Jessica Strand; photographs copyright © 2009 by Caren Alpert. Reprinted with permission by Chronicle Books.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

Honored Contributor

This had an interesting mix of beef and chicken stock...

French Onion Soup     EASY

Serves: 4

• 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 3 large white onions, thinly sliced into half moons
  • kosher salt
  • Black pepper
  • 1/2 c. white wine
  • 2 c. chicken stock
  • 4 c. beef stock
  • 8 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
  • 4 Baguette slices
  • 2 c. shredded Gruyere cheese
  1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until deeply golden, 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add white wine and let simmer until evaporated, 3 minutes. Add chicken and beef stocks and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; remove thyme.
  2. Preheat broiler to high. Place baguette slices on a large baking sheet and top with ½ cup grated cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 1 minute.

Respected Contributor

mtc wrote, in part: "...As it's just me, I would like to cut this recipe in half (no problem) but it would still probably leave me with more servings than I could eat while it was still tasty.  Do you think it would be better to freeze the caramelized onions and add the stock (I have Better Than Boullion Beef) as needed or would it be better to make the half recipe and freeze it that way (or is freezing out of the question altogether)?"

Sincere thanks as always my friend!  Smiley Happy

Good morning, @momtochloe.  Simmering develops and/or blends the flavors.  So make the recipe (in whatever quantity you want), then cool it completely and ladle out the desired portions to freeze.

There are uses for leftover Onion Soup, too, e.g., use as braising liquid for beef roasts, in beef pot pies, etc.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

LOL...I guess I just came up w/ a recipe for The Recipe Game!  I had listed Short Ribs as the next ingredient and just found this one from Geo Z. (foodnetwork.com) in my files!  I have got to try this one!!

French Onion Soup With Braised Short Ribs

short rib onion soup.jpeg

Ingredients                                                                    Yield: 6 servings

2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
4 sprigs thyme, plus 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
6 cups low-sodium beef stock
1 stick unsalted butter
6 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
3/4 cup dry sherry
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
12 slices high-quality gruyere cheese (about 6 ounces)
Chopped fresh chives, for topping

French Onion Soup With Braised Short Ribs

Braise the short ribs: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Toss the short ribs with the flour and season liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the canola oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the short ribs and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add the carrot, chopped onion and leek to the pot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Return the short ribs to the pot and stir in the thyme sprigs, bay leaf, garlic and tomato paste. Add the wine and bring to a simmer, then cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and return to a simmer. Cover, transfer to the oven and braise until the short ribs are falling off the bone, 2 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours.

Meanwhile, caramelize the onions: Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sliced onions, reduce the heat to low and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, about 2 hours, 30 minutes. (Add a splash of water and scrape up any browned bits from the pot, if necessary.)

When the short ribs are done, remove from the broth with a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate and let cool slightly. Strain the broth, discarding the solids. Shred the meat, discarding the bones, and toss with 1 cup of the broth. Reserve the remaining broth.

Add the thyme leaves and sherry to the caramelized onions. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes; add the reserved broth and cook 30 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Skim the fat from the top of the soup. Stir in the vinegar.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Divide the soup among 6 ovenproof bowls; spoon about 1/3 cup shredded meat into the center of each, then top each with 2 slices toast, trimming the bread if necessary. Top each with 2 slices cheese, letting the cheese hang over the side of the bowl. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Top with chives

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife  I feel like I have hit the Onion Soup jackpot.  Heart  Today is Menu Day for the coming week, and, as you can imagine, Onion Soup will be on it -- all I have to do now is choose one.  Thank you for all the options! 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I had more recipes for onion soup here on my work computer than I thought!

I hope ya'all don't mind....I got a little carried away posting them!  LOL

Interesting...only one other besides @IamMrsG  called for brandy!

I definitely want to try it w/ brandy/cognac  Calvados, Applejack, or other brandy

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

mtc wrote, in part: "...As it's just me, I would like to cut this recipe in half (no problem) but it would still probably leave me with more servings than I could eat while it was still tasty.  Do you think it would be better to freeze the caramelized onions and add the stock (I have Better Than Boullion Beef) as needed or would it be better to make the half recipe and freeze it that way (or is freezing out of the question altogether)?"

Sincere thanks as always my friend!  Smiley Happy

Good morning, @momtochloe.  Simmering develops and/or blends the flavors.  So make the recipe (in whatever quantity you want), then cool it completely and ladle out the desired portions to freeze.

There are uses for leftover Onion Soup, too, e.g., use as braising liquid for beef roasts, in beef pot pies, etc.  

@IamMrsG oh thank you so much, yes that makes perfect sense.  Thanks as always for your help, I cannot wait to try this recipe as I have been wanting french onion soup for a couple of weeks now but didn't want to purchase it at Trader Joe's as I know I could do it myself and will now thanks to you!  Heart

Although it is ironic I will be heading over to Trader Joe's for the Gruyere . . . Smiley Happy