2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons brandy **
1/2 loaf French bread
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese *

For easiest slicing, first cut onions in half lengthwise, then set cut side down so they don't roll. Cut peeled onions into thin slices.

In a Dutch oven, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften, about 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 1 hour 15 minutes in all. After the first 30 minutes of cooking, the onions should be a light golden brown. About 30 - 45 minutes later onions should be a deep brown.  Dark caramelized onions are the secret to good onion soup.

Stir flour into onions, bring to a bubble, and then cook 2 or 3 minutes.

**Slowly stir in the stock, water and brandy. Simmer, partially covered about 15 minutes to blend flavors. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.

Heat oven to 325º.  Cut bread into 4 thick slices (1" or so). Place on a baking sheet and bake until dry, appx. 6 minutes per side.

Heat broiler. Grate cheese. Pour soup into heat-proof serving bowls. Put a piece of bread on top of each. Mound cheese onto bread. Broil until cheese is golden brown, about 2 or 3 minutes.

Per serving: 578 calories; 33 g fat; 79 mg. cholesterol
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes (45 mins. work time; 1 hour 30 minutes cooking time)

Mrs. G's notes:
* Use more cheese, as much as double.

**I remove the onion/flour mixture from the Dutch oven before adding any liquid. Then I add only the brandy (actually, I use about 1/4 cup VSOP Courvoisier cognac -- extravagant for sure, but makes for some mighty fine soup), to deglaze the pot. Add the onions, then slowly stir in the beef stock and water.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Tuscan Onion Soup

2 lb. yellow onions
2 pints low-sodium chicken stock
2 pints low-sodium beef stock
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
Italian bread in ½ inch slices
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
2-4 cloves garlic

Combine beef and chicken stock in a stock pot. Blanch onions in stock until translucent. Strain stock and drain and reserve onions. Return stock to pan.

In a skillet, sauté onions until lightly browned, adding minced garlic during the last few minutes. Transfer onion and garlic to stock pot. Simmer for 20 minutes over low heat. Deglaze the skillet with wine. Reduce wine mixture over low heat until volume is reduced by half, then add to stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toast both sides of bread on a grill or in a panini press. Rub a clove of garlic over toasted bread, if desired.

Place one slice bread at the bottom of each serving bowl. Pour soup over bread (leave one end of bread exposed for easier handling. Sprinkle with several tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a pinch of minced parsley as a garnish.

Mrs. G's note: This is faster to make than French Onion Soup, and is sweeter, too – but every bit as good. Cannot say which we like better.

Honored Contributor

Thanks!!  @IamMrsG

Do you always use yellow onions?

The last couple pots I made, I used Vadalia onions and didn't like the way it came out....I blamed the onions, not myself!   LOL

Honored Contributor

Ann's recipe below was the first time I ever tried Onion Soup w/ Chicken Stock.  Always used beef!  This was quite good and did taste different than my 'usual'

French Onion Soup

Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell

Prep Time: 25 min        Cook Time: 2 hr 30 min   Level: Easy    Serves: 6 servings

Ingredients

Extra-virgin olive oil
8 large onions, thinly sliced from stem to root end
Kosher salt
6 ounces dry sherry
4 bay leaves
1 bundle thyme
2 quarts chicken stock
12 thin slices baguette
1/2 pound Gruyere, grated
1/2 bunch chopped chives

Directions

Coat a large deep pot with olive oil. Add the onions and sprinkle generously with salt. Bring the pan to a medium heat. Stir the onions to coat with oil. Cover the pot and sweat for 15 to 20 minutes.

Once the onions have gotten very soft and let off a lot of water, remove the lid and let the onions cook looooow and sloooooooooow. That's right low and slow to really develop their rich brown color and sweet flavor. There is no shortcut or rush for this, DO NOT TRY! Caramelized onions take a long time, about an hour, accept it and move on.

When the onions are very brown and have gotten considerably smaller, add the sherry and cook until the sherry has reduced by half. Add the bay leaves, thyme bundle and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. TASTE for seasoning, you probably will need to season with salt. If the stock reduces too much add water to keep the liquid level up- this IS a soup after all. When done, the soup should be thick and very full flavored. TASTE! You may need to reseason, caramelized onions are very sweet and require a fair amount of salt.

Toast or grill the baguette slices. Fill ovenproof crocks 3/4 of the way with the onion soup, float 2 toasts in each bowl and top with grated Gruyere. Place the crocks under the broiler to melt the cheese and make it brown and bubbly. Top with chopped chives.

Honored Contributor

Jacques Pepin's French Onion Soup Gratinee

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 onions, sliced
7 cups unsalted chicken stock, preferably homemade
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
16 slices baguette
10 ounces gruyere, grated on the large hole side of a box grater
(or Comte or Emmenthaler)

Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions over medium high heat

for about eight minutes or until they are lightly browned.

1. Add stock, salt and pepper (if your stock is salted, do not add additional salt) and boil gently for about 15 minutes.
  1. In the meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
  2. Toast the baguette slices in the oven.
  3. Place one or two slices of baguette in the bottom of each of four ovenproof crocks.
  4. Add 1/4 cup of grated cheese to each crock and place the crocks on a cookie sheet.
  5. Ladle the onion and stock mixture into the crocks.
  6. Top with the remaining grated cheese, pressing some of the cheese against the lip of each crock.
  7. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cheese is beautifully browned.
  8. In the last few moments, place the remaining baguette slices in the oven to warm.
  9. Serve the soup immediately with the toasted slices of baguette.

Honored Contributor

French Onion Soup

Caramelizing Onions in a Crock Pot... by whispy
6-8 Vidalia or other sweet onion (worked just fine with those yellow onions in a
bag)- stem and root end removed, peel, leave whole
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
one 10 oz can chicken or vegetable stock (I mixed up some better than bouillon
chicken broth)
Place onions, butter, broth in slow cooker, set on low, and cook until onions are
deep golden brown and very soft, 12-24 hours. It's almost impossible to overcook
(direct quote from author) so for for the deepest brown.
Use the onions and liquid to flavor soup, stock stews. They make wonderful
additions to risotto, pasta sauce, and pizza topping (drain liquid)
Store in fridge up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for one year.

French Onion Soup ....by Robin

Ingredients

Use whispy's... Caramelized Onion recipe above pour in to a Dutch Oven Pot
Add:
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
2 tablespoons paprika
1 bay leaf
7 (16 ounce) cans beef broth, divided
1 cup dry white wine
Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
French baguette
Swiss cheese or Gruyere cheese

Directions
I transfer the Onion and broth to a Dutch Oven.
Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf; saute over low heat 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
Pour in 6 cans broth, wine and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Dissolve flour in remaining 1 can broth.
Stir into boiling soup.
Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours or until the flavor is to your liking.
Better if refrigerate overnight. To serve, heat soup in microwave or on stove top.

Pour into ovenproof crocks.
Top with a slice of french bread and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Heat under the broiler until cheese melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes.
Leftover soup can be frozen.

Note: I make my caramelized onions a day ahead and refrigerate until I was ready to make my French Onion soup.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife   Shame on me for not mentioning that -- yes, I always use yellow onions.  I once worked with a chef who liked using a blend of yellow and red onions, then she'd also randomly add a little of every herb from the shelf.  Woman Frustrated  (BTW, she's no longer there now.)

Honored Contributor

French Onion Soup WITH BRANDY

The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen

Yield: Makes 4 servings            Active Time: 40 minutes            Total Time: 40 minutes

ingredients

• 2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon Calvados, Applejack, or other brandy
  • 4 cups low-salt beef stock
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4–8 1/2"-thick slices baguette, cut to fit ramekins
  • 1 cup grated Gruyère or raclette cheese
  • Special equipment: Four 10-ounces ramekins

preparation

Preheat oven to 450°F. Cook onions in a 12" nonstick skillet over high heat, stirring constantly, until soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add butter and toss onions to coat. Remove pan from heat and stir in Calvados. Return pan to heat and continue cooking until Calvados is absorbed, about 30 seconds. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer until soup is reduced to 4 cups, about 5 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Divide soup among ramekins. Top each ramekin with 1-2 slices of bread. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over each. Transfer baking sheet with ramekins to oven and bake until cheese is bubbly and browned in spots, about 4 minutes.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RespectLife   Shame on me for not mentioning that -- yes, I always use yellow onions.  I once worked with a chef who liked using a blend of yellow and red onions, then she'd also randomly add a little of every herb from the shelf.  Woman Frustrated  (BTW, she's no longer there now.)

Thanks @IamMrsG

I think I prefer yellow as well.  Like I said, the only difference in my last pots were Vadalia's.  They didn't carmelize as well as I would have liked and were kinda

'pasty'

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

French Onion Soup
4 servings

2 pounds onions
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cups beef stock
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons brandy **
1/2 loaf French bread
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese *

For easiest slicing, first cut onions in half lengthwise, then set cut side down so they don't roll. Cut peeled onions into thin slices.

In a Dutch oven, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften, about 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized, about 1 hour 15 minutes in all. After the first 30 minutes of cooking, the onions should be a light golden brown. About 30 - 45 minutes later onions should be a deep brown.  Dark caramelized onions are the secret to good onion soup.

Stir flour into onions, bring to a bubble, and then cook 2 or 3 minutes.

**Slowly stir in the stock, water and brandy. Simmer, partially covered about 15 minutes to blend flavors. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.

Heat oven to 325º.  Cut bread into 4 thick slices (1" or so). Place on a baking sheet and bake until dry, appx. 6 minutes per side.

Heat broiler. Grate cheese. Pour soup into heat-proof serving bowls. Put a piece of bread on top of each. Mound cheese onto bread. Broil until cheese is golden brown, about 2 or 3 minutes.

Per serving: 578 calories; 33 g fat; 79 mg. cholesterol
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes (45 mins. work time; 1 hour 30 minutes cooking time)

Mrs. G's notes:
* Use more cheese, as much as double.

**I remove the onion/flour mixture from the Dutch oven before adding any liquid. Then I add only the brandy (actually, I use about 1/4 cup VSOP Courvoisier cognac -- extravagant for sure, but makes for some mighty fine soup), to deglaze the pot. Add the onions, then slowly stir in the beef stock and water.

@IamMrsG good morning my cooking sherpa friend . . . I have a quick question.  As it's just me, I would like to cut this recipe in half (no problem) but it would still probably leave me with more servings than I could eat while it was still tasty.  Do you think it would be better to freeze the caramelized onions and add the stock (I have Better Than Boullion Beef) as needed or would it be better to make the half recipe and freeze it that way (or is freezing out of the question altogether)?

Sincere thanks as always my friend!  Smiley Happy