Honored Contributor

From Cravings by Chrissy Teigen 

It’s no secret that fried chicken is a beloved staple in the Teigen-Legend household. Everyone—especially the kids—love when John makes it, but this orange chicken with a sweet-and-tangy maple-orange glaze may be our family’s new favorite.

To optimize the zestiness, use both orange juice and zest in the marinade—the zest is filled with aromatic oils that will punch up the citrus flavor in the chicken, balancing out the saltiness and spiciness of the sauce. Try making this chicken with bacon & broccoli garlic fried rice  and you may never need to order takeout ever again.

Screenshot_2020-09-20-17-45-36.png

Ingredients
  • 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 medium oranges
  • ½ cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 teaspoon cold water
  • 1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • ½ teaspoon chili flakes
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ small fresh red chili, thinly sliced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Parsley, for garnish

Directions
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES

Zest one of the oranges and reserve the zest. Halve both oranges. Juice three of the halves to yield about ½ cup juice (drink any extra), then slice the other half into four rounds and reserve. Combine the ½ cup orange juice with reserved orange zest, broth, maple syrup, cornstarch, fish sauce, rice vinegar, and chili flakes, then reserve.

Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Brown the chicken until golden (but not cooked through), 2–3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and cook, stirring, until tender and translucent, 8–9 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.

Set an oven rack 6–8 inches from the heating element and preheat the broiler to high broil. Add the reserved orange juice mixture to the onions and garlic, raise the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, let boil and thicken for 1–2 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium, return the chicken to the skillet, spoon some of the sauce over the chicken, and arrange an orange slice over each piece.

Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and broil until the oranges begin to soften and blacken slightly around the edges, 3–4 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with chilies and parsley. Serve with steamed rice. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Re: One-Skillet Orange Chicken

@Chi-town girl   Thank you for listing this.  I will be trying it.  Love recipes with Asian flavor profiles and a new recipe for chicken is always welcome.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl, I had to smile when I saw the title "One-Skillet" Orange Chicken. Ha!

In all my years in the kitchen, making Orange Chicken still remains the nadir of my cooking disasters.

The mess was unbelievable, and I though I'd never get it all cleaned up! Grease splatters, spilled dredging ingredients, and sooo many bottles & jars & dishes & pans used.

I felt like the miller's daughter in the fairy tale Rumpelstiltskin; she didn't know how to begin to spin straw into gold, & I didn't know where to start to dig out from under such a mess. 

I don't remember if it tasted good, but who could eat with the kitchen in shambles?!  

Anyway, once I'm over the trauma, I may attempt your one-skillet recipe.  Smiley Very Happy

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Chi-town girl, I had to smile when I saw the title "One-Skillet" Orange Chicken. Ha!

In all my years in the kitchen, making Orange Chicken still remains the nadir of my cooking disasters.

The mess was unbelievable, and I though I'd never get it all cleaned up! Grease splatters, spilled dredging ingredients, and sooo many bottles & jars & dishes & pans used.

I felt like the miller's daughter in the fairy tale Rumpelstiltskin; she didn't know how to begin to spin straw into gold, & I didn't know where to start to dig out from under such a mess. 

I don't remember if it tasted good, but who could eat with the kitchen in shambles?!  

Anyway, once I'm over the trauma, I may attempt your one-skillet recipe.  Smiley Very Happy

Lol @sabatini  - thank you for the giggles Woman LOL

I haven't made this dish yet, but I will try it soon. Its probably a healthier option to one of our Trader Joe's frozen items 

tj_mandarinorangechicken_img3996.jpg8

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

I do enjoy TJ Mandarin Chick - will be trying this version in the future

thanks for posting