Esteemed Contributor

One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce - Little Spice Jar

I love a great lemon garlic sauce because it can be used so many ways... w/ chicken, salmon, halibut, shrimp ... etc etc. I actually found this recipe site when I was looking for another chicken dish and used this recipe as inspiration to make my version.

What I did was cut breasts in half to make two thinner breasts, pound w/ mallet and then brine for 4 hours. I then cooked the chicken breasts to temp in skillet, set aside the breasts and in same pan made the sauce. Once the sauce was thickened, I added back the chicken breasts and let them warm back up. You could also just use chicken tenders to get smaller cuts of chicken and save a step.

The original recipe calls for the chicken to be partially cooked, sauce made, chicken added back to pan, then pan put into oven for about 5 minutes. Either way makes for an easy, tasty one pan chicken entree.

One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce - Little Spice Jar

lemon garlic chicken.PNG

Ingredients

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
 salt and pepper
 1 cup chicken broth
 2 tablespoons lemon juice
 1 tablespoon minced garlic
 ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
 1 tablespoon olive oil
 ⅓ cup finely diced shallots (or red onions)
 2 tablespoons salted butter
 ¼ cup heavy cream
 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or basil

Instructions
Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts/thighs into ½ inch thickness. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.

In a 2 cup measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes.

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and allow it to brown on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side. Don't worry if the chicken isn't cooked thoroughly; we'll finish it in the oven. Remove the chicken to a plate.

Reduce the flame to medium, and add the shallots to the skillet along with the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Kick the heat back up to medium-high and let sauce come to a simmer. Continue to cook the sauce for 10-15 minutes or until about ⅓ cup of the sauce remains.

When the sauce has thickened, remove from the flame, add the butter and whisk until it melts completely. With the skillet off the flame, add the heavy cream, whisk to combine. Place the skillet back over the flame for just 30 seconds, DO NOT allow the sauce to boil. Remove from heat, add the chicken back into the pan and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Place the skillet in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.

Top with chopped parsley or basil and serve warm with additional lemon slices. Serve with prepared rice, pasta, or sauteed veggies on the side.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

Re: One Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce - Little Spice Jar

Yummy!  I am going to try this recipe the next time I make chicken or fish. The lemon garlic sauce sounds delicious and refreshing.  Thank you for sharing!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing! it looks delicious and doesn't have a ton of heavy cream!

Esteemed Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

Thanks for sharing! it looks delicious and doesn't have a ton of heavy cream!

@cindyNC @shy bobcat 

I'm making this tonight for myself - hubby will be off watching football. He can have the leftover for his lunch tomorrow. Since it's so little cream, I'm going to try to make w/ the half and half I have in the house. I think I can make it work and still have a creamy, thick enough sauce. I just don't want to go to the store for the cream and fight the Saturday shoppers.

Have a good weekend. Hope you like the sauce if you try it for yourselves.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Yum!  Another one to try! 😊