Respected Contributor

I shared this one several years ago, but thought it worth repeating. Today's afternoon temperature is to go up towards normal, so this is going to be tonight's dinner.  

One-Pot Summer Meal

1 large onion
1 ½ lbs. Kielbasa
3 medium carrots (or more to taste)
6 small all-purpose potatoes (about 1-1/2 lb.)
3 ears corn, yellow or white
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon caraway seed
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups apple juice
1 small head green cabbage
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water

Peel onion and cut into thin slices. Cut kielbasa into 1-1/2" long pieces. Peel carrots and cut into 1" pieces. Peel potatoes, and cut each in half. Remove husks and silk from corn and cut each ear into four pieces.

Put oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven and heat over high heat. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic and kielbasa; reduce heat to moderately high and sauté, stirring constantly until the onion is lightly browned. (About 5 minutes.)

Add caraway seed, basil, salt, cut carrots, potato halves, corn and apple juice to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover Dutch oven and simmer vegetable-meat mixture for 15 minutes.

Wash cabbage; remove and discard tough outer leaves. Using a large, sharp French chef’s knife, cut cabbage into 8 wedges. Add to kielbasa mixture; cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are just tender.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables and kielbasa to a large tureen or serving dish, arranging vegetables in groupings of kind. Stir flour into water until mixture is very smooth and no lumps of flour remain. Stir flour mixture gradually into cooking liquid in Dutch oven.

Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Pour on thickened sauce and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings. Good served with dark bread and a strong mustard.

Mrs. G's notes: Serve with salty, rye horns and either chilled white wine (Riesling is nice) or ice-cold beer.

For my tastes, I don’t think these cooking times are nearly long enough. After sautéing the onions, I add all the vegetables (cabbage on top) and kielbasa with the herbs and apple juice, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about an hour.  After an hour, if the cabbage is fork-tender, it’s done.

The “sauce” will never actually thicken, but it’s still very good. I serve it on the side, like gravy.

The only modification I make to the ingredients is to add small onion halves to the vegetables (additional to the sliced one).  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

This sounds delish, G!  Smiley HappyYum.

Aside from the cabbage, it's similar to a New England lobster boil...which is like an indoor clambake. LOL!

I love cabbage, so it's right up my NE alley.

Thanks so much!

Muddling through...