Valued Contributor

Are oleo and margarine the same thing? Maybe I am thinking of Crisco.......

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oleo and margarine?

[ Edited ]

Maybe. I use butter!

ETA: Crisco is that white grease in a can. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

They are the same thing as far as nutrition is concerned....not food.

Valued Contributor

I have some old cookie recipes that call for it.  So I just use regular margarine?

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I have some old cookie recipes that call for it.  So I just use regular margarine?

That's what I'd do.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

@chihuahuamom  Use regular margarine, not the light kind.  You might use half and half butter and margarine too.  It should work in most recipes. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Oleo and margarine?

[ Edited ]

Yes, it is the same thing- in fact, margarine used to be called "oleomargarine" ...Oleo meaning "oil" - it is "butter" if you will, made, instead of from cream, from oil...

It was very popular during WWII when dairy products were rationed, it was then that the use of margarine became very common as a butter substitute...

Honored Contributor

Yes, oleo is the very old name for margarine.  I never use margarine; I'm a butter person all the way.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

They are the same thing as far as nutrition is concerned....not food.

@phoenixbrd  I read that margarine has so many chemicals in it that it is close to plastic in its composition. You are absolutely correct. "NOT food."

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Dating myself but does anyone else remember when margerine came in a big plastic bag with a dot of dye and you had to squish it it around to mix the dye in to make it yellow?  I remember because it was my job to do the squishing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment