Contributor

Old KDKA Pittsburgh Cake Donut Recipe

Many years ago on the "Pittsburgh Today" show they had a recipe for cake donut holes.  These were delicious and fun to make because they fliped over in the oil when they were done on one side.  It was a simple recipe but I've lost mine over the years.  I rolled them in powdered sugar.

Thanks!

Daisy

Honored Contributor

Re: Old KDKA Pittsburgh Cake Donut Recipe

Don't have that receipe-sorry. Mom loved Kay's kitchen. Daddy really admired Bill Burns.

Respected Contributor

@Daisy LadyI just went to google, put in Pittsburgh Today and doughnut recipe, and there are a lot of them, take your pick. My Mother made this recipe and she's no longer with us, and I don't know if anyone in the Family may have had it. Three of my sisters are also gone., and 2 don't bake that are left. I live 25, min from Pittsburgh, in WV, hope you find it. 

Honored Contributor

This is my recipe for doughnut holes:

2 cups flour

3 tbsps sugar

1/4 tsp nutmeg (only if you like this flavor)

1 1/2 tbsps baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 egg

1 cup milk

1/4 cup melted butter

5 cups peanut oil

Whisk flour, sugar, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt together in bowl.  Whisk egg and milk together in small bowl.  Stir milk/egg into dry ingredients, then stir in butter to make thick, doughlike batter.

I use my electric skillet to fry by heating oil to 350 degrees (it keeps the temperature consistent).  Drop tablespoon-sized scoops of batter into hot oil.  Fry until deep brown, about 2 minutes, on first side.  Turn over and finish frying to deep brown.

Drain and cool on paper towel-lined baking sheet. 

Contributor

deepwaterdotter:  thanks for the recipe.  This sounds like it might be it.  I'm going to try it.  Have a great week.

Daisy

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Lady wrote:

deepwaterdotter:  thanks for the recipe.  This sounds like it might be it.  I'm going to try it.  Have a great week.

Daisy

@Daisy Lady

Were those actual donut holes or were they fried Beignets?

• 1 cup water 8 fl oz, 240 ml
  • 1 stick 4 oz unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • Large pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • Oil for frying
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
  1. Place water, butter, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir until butter is melted and everything comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add flour into the mixture, stir to combine well with the butter mixture. Continue to stir and cook until the dough pulls away from the sides and starts to form into a ball, about 1 minute. Let cool for 5 minutes.
  2. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the dough with the eggs, start with one egg until the egg is completely incorporated into the dough. Add the rest of the eggs, one at a time. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for one hour. After chilling, shape the dough into small balls using a teaspoon or 1/2 tablespoon. Arrange the dough balls on a plate lined with parchment paper.
  3. Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a frying pan on medium-low heat. When the oil is fully heated, drop the dough balls and fry them in batches. Keep turning the dough balls around so they are evenly browned and puff up considerably. The beignets are ready when they start to form a seam (the beignet will start to burst creating a seam when it is ready). Transfer out with a strainer and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle the powdered sugar generously and serve warm.

beignets1.jpg

Contributor

@Nightowlz

Thanks for your recipe.  These look delicious!

Daisy

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz, that recipe looks great! Is this a tried & true recipe that you've used before? I'd love to give it a whirl!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sabatini wrote:

@Nightowlz, that recipe looks great! Is this a tried & true recipe that you've used before? I'd love to give it a whirl!

@sabatini

No I have not tried it. I found it online.  It looks good but a little different. She has this posted on her site. 

I did some research on beignets recipe. Most recipe yeilds a dense and doughnut-like texture, with yeast involved. I opted for this beignet recipe made from choux pastry. The reason is simple: I love light, eggy and absolutely addictive choux pastry, and these beignets are basically golden-brown fried choux pastry balls dusted with lots of powdered sugar!

I also found this recipe online from Da** Good Sweet Cookbook that I bet is good.

BAYOU BAKERY SCRAP DOUGH-NUT BUNS

When there's extra beignet dough at Bayou Bakery, it's used to make sticky buns. This recipe uses half of the dough yield of chef David Guas' buttermilk beignet recipe from his 2010 cookbook with Raquel Pelzel, “DamGoodSweet.”

It also calls for Steen's pure cane syrup, a Lousiana specialty, which is available at Bayou Bakery in Arlington, Va. (703-243-2410) and can be ordered via Amazon.

The beignet dough needs to rest/rise for 1 hour. The buns need to rest/rise in their muffin tin wells for 20 minutes. The baked buns are best served the same day they are made.

From David Guas, chef-owner of Bayou Bakery in Arlington

For the dough:

5 1⁄2 tablespoons (about 3 ounces) whole milk

3⁄4 cup whole or low-fat buttermilk

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 1⁄4 tablespoons sugar

1 1⁄4 cups bread flour, plus extra for the work surface

1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda

1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the filling:

6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature

6 tablespoons (3 ounces) light brown sugar

2 teaspoons all-purpose flour

1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For the glaze:

1⁄2 cup Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane syrup (see headnote)

2 tablespoons bourbon, preferably Maker's Mark

1⁄4 cup crushed pecans, for sprinkling

For the dough: Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, just until bubbles form at the edges. Remove from the heat, then add the buttermilk.

Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough attachment. Whisk in the yeast and sugar; let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the bread flour, baking soda and salt, stirring a bit to incorporate. Beat on low speed until moistened, then increase the speed to medium, beating for several minutes, until the dough forms a loose ball yet is still fairly tacky and wet. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a draft-free spot for 1 hour.

For the filling: Combine the butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a mixing bowl; blend well.

Use cooking oil spray to lightly grease the wells of a muffin pan (for regular-size muffins).

Lightly flour a work surface. Roll out the dough on the work surface to a rectangle that measures 8 inches by 18 inches. Spread 1⁄2 cup of the filling evenly over the surface, then roll tightly into a log. Seal the seam by pinching it tightly closed.

Cut the roll crosswise into 2-inch sections (for a total of 9 rolls), laying each one on its side in separate muffin wells, gently pressing down as you work. Lay a clean, slightly damp dish towel over the pan. Transfer to a warm, draft-free place for 20 minutes' rising time.

For the glaze: Stir the syrup and bourbon together in a medium bowl.

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray the surface of the muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray; this will help remove any filling/glaze overflow from the baked buns.

Spread the tops of the rolls with the remaining filling. Use half of the glaze to brush on top, then sprinkle the pecans over the glaze. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Upon removing the pan from the oven, immediately brush the tops of the buns with the remaining glaze.

Cool in the pan before serving.

Makes 9 servings.

Nutrition per serving: 280 calories, 11 grams fat (5 grams saturated), 20 milligrams cholesterol, 4 grams protein, 43 grams carbohydrates, 0 dietary fiber, 150 milligrams sodium