Super Contributor

Re: Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

THIS WAS my Dad's favorite pie !!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

LoLa, coconut cream pie is one of my favorites! Thanks for your recipe, it IS a keeper!! Made one saturday and then another one for Monday! Very good! Tastes just like the one I have at a restaurant every time I go to it! I did use half & half. Going to play around with using the almond milk & sugar subs & see if it changes the flavor too much!

Have you ever added coconut extract to yours? Thinking I will give that a try the next time I make it?

Highlighted
Super Contributor

This is my favorite pie and I have not had it in a very long time. I used to get it on the trips to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan at a little restaurant outside of Marquette. This is a keeper and will try it soon. thank you so much for sharing.

Hmmmmm.. i saved this recipe to my computer and all i see are the comments under the picture.  I need the recipe.

Trusted Contributor

@LoLa  I'm with Nancy's Fancys -- Other people apparently see a recipe in the first post.  All I see is a picture of that wonderful pie, but there's no text and no link. 

Could someone please repost the recipe itself in a reply?

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

@Lola  I'm with Nancy's Fancys -- Other people apparently see a recipe in the first post.  All I see is a picture of that wonderful pie, but there's no text and no link. 

Could someone please repost the recipe itself in a reply?

Me too!  I have been trying to figure out what I missed on her original post since I am on my way to the grocery store right now.  I will check back later to see if I can see the recipe.  Until then I put Marie Callender's single coconut creme pie on my list.  Have to have some tonight after seeing that photo even frozen store bought!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was looking back at the beginning of this thread, and I just noticed that it was posted in 05-20-2014.  Looks like we've fallen down another QVC Rabbit Hole??????

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
05-20-2014 11:49 AM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would NEVER make a coconut cream pie because I'd eat the whole thing in one sitting ...... well, almost .......   so once in a while I'll go to Marie Calenders and get one piece  .....

.....  or the MC frozen section in my grocery store sometimes has two little tiny ones ... 300 calories each and defrost in the microwave in 15 seconds, if it's an emergency, LOL.

I have to seriously RATION this treat .... yum!!    Heart

Valued Contributor

Oooo this pie is a goodie for sure!!  Ugh, this new forum format is so aggravating. You can find the original recipe at kitchme.com. You'll find it as named here on this thread

(old-fashioned coconut cream pie.)

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

LoLa

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, LoLa, for posting this wonderful recipe in the first place and for checking in here -- I'm glad it found its way "back to the future" however mysterious its trip!

http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/old-fashioned-coconut-cream-pie

Old-Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

Serves 8 - Makes 1 9-inch pie

Prep 20 min    Cook 30 min    Ready 50 min

1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

3 cup half-and-half

2 eggs, beaten

3⁄4 cup white sugar

1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour

1⁄4 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked

1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed (or your own homemade whipped cream)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.

Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.

Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.

(You can also find the same on Allrecipes.com, posted by Carol H.  There are some great sounding comments about using coconut milk, coconut cream, or cornstarch instead of the flour -- too long to copy them here. --HB)