Valued Contributor

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

[ Edited ]

81K+

Need a delicious coconut cake and no time to bake? Click HERE

To find your favorite kitchen products - click HERE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

LoLa, as always, it's the pictures on here that get to me! I love coconut cream pie, and this looks delicious...I will definitely try it!

I met a lady at a gathering one night several years ago, and she had brought a coconut cream pie - it was so good, so I asked her for the recipe. She quickly jotted it down on a piece of paper, and a couple of days later I tried it. Got everything done, sat down with my beautiful pie, and almost had to spit it out. She had forgotten to write down the sugar, and I didn't even notice it so I made it without any! Needless to say, that pie went in the trash-there was no saving it!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Valued Contributor

On 5/20/2014 kittymomNC said:

LoLa, as always, it's the pictures on here that get to me! I love coconut cream pie, and this looks delicious...I will definitely try it!

I met a lady at a gathering one night several years ago, and she had brought a coconut cream pie - it was so good, so I asked her for the recipe. She quickly jotted it down on a piece of paper, and a couple of days later I tried it. Got everything done, sat down with my beautiful pie, and almost had to spit it out. She had forgotten to write down the sugar, and I didn't even notice it so I made it without any! Needless to say, that pie went in the trash-there was no saving it!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Hi KittymomNC! You are so very welcome! I love them too. It just reminds me of growing up and taking less just a little less serious.

I loved your pie story! SO funny! Sounds like something that I would do..lol But, hey, it's happens! Good luck with this one. It's a family favorite and I hope that it will become one for you too!

Have a lovely day,

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the recipe. Coconut cream is my favorite. The only problem I have with making it is the baked pie shell. Can you please tell me how you bake your pie shell. Mine always shrinks down or is raw. I just can't seem to get it right.

Valued Contributor

On 5/20/2014 BLH said:

Thanks for the recipe. Coconut cream is my favorite. The only problem I have with making it is the baked pie shell. Can you please tell me how you bake your pie shell. Mine always shrinks down or is raw. I just can't seem to get it right.

HI BLH! You're very welcome. I completely understand. It's taken me forever to 'get it right'. I finally came across this little blurb and it seems to work well. I hope this helps:

To Pre Bake Pie Shell:

Chill your pie shell in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450. Line pie shell with circle of parchment or wax paper and fill it with 2 1/2 cups of dried beans or rice or pie weights spread to the edge and place more near the sides than in the center. Set the pie shell on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then decrease heat to 375 and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove pie shell from oven. Remove parchment and beans or rice out of shell. Poke the bottom of the pie shell in 3 or 4 places with the point of a sharp knife to prevent the shell from forming bubbles as it finishes baking. Return shell to oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Cool completely before filling.

Respected Contributor

Wow. That reminds me of the old-fashioned coconut pies we'd see at the dime store lunch counters!

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

Hi Moonlady.... Yes, I can stare at that picture forever. Makes me happy...lol

Valued Contributor

I want this right now Please???? Brittany

Respected Contributor

My mom made this a lot while I was growing up...haven't had it in awhile...even the picture gives me cravings! ,

Thanks for posting...So easy and so good!!!!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

Hi Britt.... Ok, come over!!Wink

Hi Marienkaefer2... You are very welcome. Yes. That's what I love about this kind of recipe. It brings back wonderful memories.