Honored Contributor

Re: Ok, let's talk mayo . . . specifically the Kewpie brand

My family is very brand specific with mayo; Hellman’s is the only accepted brand for this house.   

Honored Contributor

I'm Dukes or Hellmann's also.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I have noticed when watching various cooking shows on the Food Network many chefs grab a Japanese mayo brand Kewpie:

Has anyone used this brand?  I find it intriguing as I thought nothing would ever move me off Hellman's until Duke's became available in my area so clearly it is easy to turn my head . . . Smiley LOL

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences!

Future DIL is from Japan   I'll have to ask her & DS if they ever use it. They eat very healthy. I'm not sure if it would be part of their diet.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a bottle at my Japanese market.  I did not care for it.  I don't care for Dukes either.  I am just a Best Food's (Hellmans) girl.  I even like Best Food's better than homemade!

Respected Contributor

🎶Bring out the Hellmann's and bring out the 🎶 best! That's what we get. DH also likes Cains, but we haven't had that in a while. IMO, Duke's overrated.

The Kewpie looks as if it has that smooth texture typical of mayo in squeeze bottles. I don't like that. When I open a jar of mayo, I expect it to be airy, fluffy, and almost "jiggly." It's a very different consistency than what's found in squeeze bottles.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

Best Foods which is Hellman's west of the Rockies.  Tried and true brand.

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded on this thread as I appreciate hearing all viewpoints and experiences.  I have been obsessed with this mayo since I saw my idol Alex Guarnaschelli use it a lot in Guy's Grocery Games so now I kinda have to have it . . . thanks again to one and all, I truly appreciate it!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I'd love to try it if I ever come across it!

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Yes exactly  @GenXmuse !  To be honest, I don't use mayo a lot at all but because I saw Alex using it now I have become completely obsessed . . . hee!

I'm kind of intrigued with that sweet component . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Yes exactly  @GenXmuse !  To be honest, I don't use mayo a lot at all but because I saw Alex using it now I have become completely obsessed . . . hee!

I'm kind of intrigued with that sweet component . . . Smiley Happy

It's definitely getting more of an audience here. If you get it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.