Valued Contributor

How do you make your oil and vinegar dressing. I have five Italian sister in laws and there dressing always tastes so good.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oil and Vinegar Dressing

I make most of mine in the Vitamix. Getting everything mixed up together and with a bit of air makes it creamy. I have heard Martha S. say that the proper vinaigrette ratio is 2/3 oil to 1/3 vinegar. Start with quality ingredients. I like apple cider, balsamic, and champagne vinegar for mine.

Super Contributor

LOL - well, being Italian I have to confess that there never was a "recipe" for salad dressing in our family. You just kind of poured on some good olive oil and red wine vinegar (which is what grandpa's wine that he made in the basement turned into after a while, so no need to ever buy any) - about twice as much oil as vinegar, but no one ever measured a thing. Thinking back, I'm amazed that it seemed to always taste the same. When I got to high school, I discovered other kinds of salad dressing, and once I was out on my own, never used the oil & vinegar type (although that's all my sister will eat).

Honored Contributor

I don't, I buy mine and it is the best IMO ........... Paul Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I come from a big Italian family and just like dfyre, there never was a recipe. I pour olive oil and red wine vinegar (about 1/2 and 1/2, never measure it) over the salad. Then I sprinkle on salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sometimes I'll add either fresh or dried herbs, or substitute lemon or lime juice for the vinegar. If I use the lemon or lime juice I don't use the garlic, but I do grate some fresh citrus rind over the salad. Then I just toss everything real good. This always turns out yummy and I've taught my girls to make it. It's everyone's favorite.

Trusted Contributor

I just sprinkle very good and flavorful extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar on my salad and toss with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.

Valued Contributor

I make vinaigrette all the time. Lemon/caper is probably my favorite. I also like eggless Caesar. I'm not big on balsamic, but my mom loves it. Salad dressings are so very easy to make with a bowl and a whisk. Even a fork to stir will do!

Honored Contributor

I try to the keep the ratio to 1/2 and 1/2. I vary the vinegars to vary the taste. I make a different salad dressing every night depending on what the salad is so I usually just use a small whisk.

Contributor

• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp dried mustard powder
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Whisk together red wine vinegar, jalapeño, garlic and mustard powder. Whisk in olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper.

http://paleontastic.com/recipe-items/criolla-salad/