Respected Contributor

I recently found a greyt tip re eye irritation and tried it. I being the sceptic that I am, really didn't think it would work, but no big deal if it didn't work.

The tip was to wet a napkin or paper towel and put it near the onion being sliced The theory being that onion fumes drift toward  moisture, hence the eyes as opposed to the nose.

Tried it once. It worked. I figured it was a fluke. Tried it again, no fluke here. It actually works. Still can hardly believe it, but it really works.

Try it and see.

Respected Contributor

Re: ONIONS and NO CRYING

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush ~ Thank you!  I'm going to try it, and it beats wearing ski goggles!  Sick of the burning, watery eyes.

Honored Contributor

My garage is now too warm for storage of onions or potatoes; the potatoes are gone, and last night I cut up the last of the onions and put them in the freezer.   

I easily cut up 10 lbs of onions; the smell was so strong my husband shut the door between my TV room and the dining room because his eyes were burning!  I never shed a single tear or felt my eyes burning, or noticed any effect while cutting the onions.  I did not do anything special before I tackled the task of cleaning and cutting the onions.   

I usually experience sensitivity to onions, but haven't lately, and have decided it's because of my new glasses.   I switched from plastic lens to polycarbonate lens, and feel that my glasses sit better on my face, fit closer and protect my eyes more than the plastic lens I had for many years, since I am not experiencing sensitivity to onions and other strong smells.

When my husband got up this morning, he said the house and my TV room still reeked of onions, so he turned the ceiling fan on and raised the glass on the screen door to air the room.   My daughter agreed the smell was still strong enough to burn her eyes this morning, but I noticed nothing!

Respected Contributor

@RedTop 

How interesting that you can avoid the fumes with the new glasses. Now that I can avoid the fumes, I think I will be using a lot more onions.

Honored Contributor

I keep my onions in the veggie drawer of the fridge.  I rarely have to peel/cut/chop more than two at a time.

I find that cutting them when cold there's no smell/tears.

Honored Contributor

Polycarbonate IS plastic......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I wll have to try your method; thank you for sharing!  Two other techniques that work:

1)  After cutting off the ends/peeling off the outer layers, rinse the onion, cutting board, and knife with cold water. Leave them wet. Then proceed to slice or chop the onion.  

2)  Place your cutting board on your stove and turn on the exhaust fan while chopping the onion.  The exhaust fan will pull the fumes up and away from your face. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi 

Yes, but my new lens are very different from what I've always had and I can see a difference in many ways.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush I heard a similar tip which also works - same premise:

The onion's fumes seek moisture, which targets your eyes.

So, just put a cup of water next to your cutting board while cutting onions.

It works.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Flatbush I heard a similar tip which also works - same premise:

The onion's fumes seek moisture, which targets your eyes.

So, just put a cup of water next to your cutting board while cutting onions.

It works.

@sabatini I am surprised that these tips were not known a long time ago, and so simple. No use crying over chopped onions Smiley Happy tho.