Honored Contributor

Re: OK, call me crazy, but why...

@Icegoddess 

You and I are very similar in our Thanksgiving preferences!

All I really want is the turkey, dressing, a little gravy and cranberry sauce.  I prefer pumpkin pie and love lemon meringue and key lime, but in the summer, lol!

The best lemon meringue was Edwards but they dropped it!  Their lemon fluff is a few lemon discs in a bunch of whipped cream.  I bought it once, never again!

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped 

Have you ever had sweet potato pie?  I loved it as a child.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@pupwhipped 

Oh, YES! Delicious!! That's all we had in my family, @ECBG. I never had pumpkin pie growing up. It was always sweet potato pie and also lots of pecan pie for the Holidays. I'm not a bad cook at all but I look back on the fabulous food that my mother and grandmother made and my mouth waters...probably many of us feel that way. Great memories!  

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@pupwhipped 

Oh, YES! Delicious!! That's all we had in my family, @ECBG. I never had pumpkin pie growing up. It was always sweet potato pie and also lots of pecan pie for the Holidays. I'm not a bad cook at all but I look back on the fabulous food that my mother and grandmother made and my mouth waters...probably many of us feel that way. Great memories!  

@pupwhipped 

Of course, there were family recipes handed down, but the Betty Crocker cookbook from the late 40-early 50's was also highly popular!  I have one!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

do people serve Dressing/Stuffing and mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving? 

Anyone with a gluten intolerance or Celiac disease cannot eat stuffing. However, mashed potatoes make an excellent choice. Actually, two starches on the table is a thoughtful approach to the holiday where even if just once a year someone wants to splurge.

A lot of holidays I have seen people avoiding the desserts but piling their plates with stuffing and mashed potatoes.🥰

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Nonametoday, Ok I understand. I make my dressing in a couple of large pans one regular and one oyster and bake. When I cook the birds, (sometimes I have had to do 3 turkeys) I also load the cavity with similar items celery onion citrus etc. We call those aromatics to flavor the bird(s) not something we eat at the meal but I have 3 siblings that call dibs on the onion.LOL every year.Woman Very Happy

@tiny 2 

Those aromatics also tenderize the turkey.  I find that a stuffing made of bread will usurp some of the turkey's moisture.  So, I make dressing separate and I put some of the bread, stock and onion mixture in my giblets to make gravy.  So we have plenty of that kind of thing.  I usually make more than one bundt pan of dressing.  In fact, I have one jello-mold, one bundt pan and what I use for making pound cakes that I use.  I did not want to do a plethora of instruction as I was just trying to make the idea of how I do it.  Sometimes, I put oysters in my dressing and especially if I already have purchased oysters for oyster stew.  My husband loves oyster stew as a preamble to his Thanskgiving dinner. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have stuffing (dressing depending on where you live) and rice because it's a grain and a different texture.

Since I taught nutrition, I would never serve dressing and potatoes, and corn, or any combination of the two.

Actually rice and stuffing are both starches. Rice escalates blood glucose just as quickly as dressing. A lot of my diabetic classes emphasized that.Also because so many cannot eat gluten, it is thoughtful to serve corn and potatoes at the table for Thanksgiving @ECBG .

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I eat only one starch (stuffing).  The others can do what they want.  No bread (or butter) I could care less!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

All I want is turkey, derssing, a little gravy, and cranberry sauce with a glass of white zin.

I am happy. 

I serve the other from the standpoint of nutrition.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 

All I want is turkey, derssing, a little gravy, and cranberry sauce with a glass of white zin.

I am happy. 

I serve the other from the standpoint of nutrition.

But what if someone at the table cannot eat bread stuffing because of gluten intolerance? Potatoes or corn would be thoughtful to serve @ECBG .

Sorry, but if you have nutrition on your mind...alcohol, sugary cranberry sauce, high fat dressing, gravy ? That is definitely not healthy.