Respected Contributor

Re: OK, call me crazy, but why...

@Zhills wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ECBG 

If you taught nutrition, you know that stuffing and dressing are not the same.

Dressing/stuffing is the same at my house!

Make one pan of it, I mix bread and cornbread!

I put some in the turkey to flavor it and makes a softer dressing and bake the rest in a dish!

Same bowl of goodness!

@Nonametoday, Around here they are the same except less liquid in stuffing going in the bird. Dressing is baked in a pan. All of this talk made me want some so I got up an made it this morning( in a pan). I am having mine with chicken since I do not have a turkey yet. There will be cranberry relish too. Woman Happy

@Nonametoday, How is yours different? I love learning about the regional differences with celebrations.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ECBG 

I put some in the turkey to flavor it and makes a softer dressing and bake the rest in a dish!

Same bowl of goodness!

@Zhills Nobody in my family liked stuffing--especially the really wet kind with eggs in it.   We do like dressing (cornbread only and mushroom/chicken soup and broth, Italian Seasoning and sauteed celery, onions and mushrooms mixed in!) with giblet gravy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner Exactly!  Love giblet gravy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

do people serve Dressing/Stuffing and mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving? 

My mother always had both at Thanksgiving when she was alive.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, there is a slight difference in my stuffing recipe vs dressing recipe ... but it's really only about the amount of butter and salt I use, all the other ingredients stay the same. I used less butter and salt when the dressing mixture went inside the turkey. I use more butter and salt for the dressing I make that is baked in a pan.

I do not "stuff" the bird now w/ dressing --- I stuff the bird w/ carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, rosemary and lemon. Makes for a delicious stock for making gravy and a very moist turkey. 

My stuffing is made the day before holiday, then put into oven when bird comes out. I have double ovens, so it's more a timing issue than space issue.

As a side note ... in addition to dressing and potatoes, the veggie of choice is sweet white corn drenched in butter. I'm glad I have 10 lbs of butter (bought on sale) in the freezer for this holiday baking.

One of my dils will bring that green bean casserole dish because she likes it. My son will eat a spoonful in support of his wife, but it was never a dish I made.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@ECBG 

Same bowl of goodness!

@Nonametoday, Around here they are the same except less liquid in stuffing going in the bird. Dressing is baked in a pan. All of this talk made me want some so I got up an made it this morning( in a pan). I am having mine with chicken since I do not have a turkey yet. There will be cranberry relish too. Woman Happy

@Nonametoday, How is yours different? I love learning about the regional differences with celebrations.

Dressing and stuffing are two very different items of food. Stuffing is put inside the turkey and is nothing like homemade dressing. Although many do not like all the ingredients in dressing, they will eat mash potatoes. I always like to have two carbohydrates on the table but I usually elect to have a sweet potato prepared in some way, roasted or in a casserole (as one of mine rather than mashed potatoes but sometimes a DIL who loves mashed potatoes and sour cream, will bring them), but to each his own. I don't do the same kind of stuffing as many others. I do a couple small apples, a mandarin orange, a large onion and celery stalks, no bread in mine. Just veggies and fruit. I make dressing from the turkey or chicken broth whichever I have. If I have a roast, I also do a hen for dressing. Dressing starts with on eggbread, a cornbread with several eggs for richness which is, after baking, then mashed up with buttermilk and olive oil, to which I add onions, avocado, chopped pecans, parsley and celery, some sage, salt, pepper, etc. I spray a bundt pan and put the dressing into it and bake, bring it out and unmold it, place celery and so forth around the perimeter to dress it.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting!  Thanks for posting!

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday, Ok I understand. I make my dressing in a couple of large pans one regular and one oyster and bake. When I cook the birds, (sometimes I have had to do 3 turkeys) I also load the cavity with similar items celery onion citrus etc. We call those aromatics to flavor the bird(s) not something we eat at the meal but I have 3 siblings that call dibs on the onion.LOL every year.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

mashed and dressing = 😛

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Most people stuff the turkey with dressing/stuffing.  And then use the turkey drippings to make gravy, which just naturally goes with mashed potatoes.

@geezerette 

I think it depends on many things .... like how many are coming for dinner, and what are the favorites for that family or group of people.

Personally, I am surprised that so many people still stuff the turkey.   We stopped doing that about 20 years ago.  Plenty of dressing, just not inside the bird.